1.According to Kothari(2001,p.108)’ A large fraction of published research in leading academic accounting journals examines the relation between financial statement information and capital markets ,referred to as capital markets research’. Explain what is capital markets research and what
Is the role of capital market research?
2.What “group” would be likely to reject the capture theory” ? Explain the view of those who embrace (support) the capture theory and why they do not hold with the notion of protecting the public interest?
3.Explain the importance in critical accounting theory of assumptions regarding the distribution of power in society. How do these assumptions differ from those adopted in other theoretical perspectives?
4.According to Accounting Concepts , users of financial information / financial reports should have a sound working knowledge of the various accounting standards in use ?Do you feel this is appropriate
(agree/disagree)? Explain your answer.
5.Identify three(3) factors/ reasons that might be expected to explain why different countries use different systems of accounting.
6. How and why would the accounting profession use the results of behavioural research in accounting?
7. From a behavioural theory perspective, why does it matter how assets and liabilities are measured?
8. Briefly explain the Brunswik Lens Model and its relevance to explaining the various facts of the decision making process.
Questions : 300 words for each question
1. What is Stakeholder Theory and explain the difference between two branches of Stakeholder Theory in terms of the alternative perspectives and about when information will, or should, be produced by an organisation.
2. What advantages or benefits have been advanced by standard- setters to support the development of conceptual framework projects? Do you agree that in practice such benefit will be achieved?
3. Critical theorists would challenge the work of authors whose work is grounded within Positive Accounting Theory. What is the basis of their opposition?
4. What is Positive Accounting Theory? Explain the efficiency perspective and the opportunistic perspective of Positive Accounting Theory. Explain two criticism of Positive Accounting Theory.
5. BP was subject to world- wide condemnation for the Gulf of Mexico major incident ( Deepwater Horizon, April 2010), being the largest marine oil spill in history. From the perspective of (a) Systems- oriented theories and (b) Social and Environmental reporting, what were the issues that confronted BP? Why would it be anticipated that companies such as BP would increase their non- financial annual report disclosures after the adverse media attention?
6. What is Triple Bottom Line reporting? Do you think that Triple Bottom Line reporting can actually lead to separate ‘bottom lines’ for the social, environmental and economic performance of an entity? Explain your view.