Federation Ltd acquired the net assets of an existing business Nigeria Pty Ltd on 1 July 2015. The statement of financial position of Federation Ltd immediately prior to the acquisition is as shown below:
Statement of Financial Position as at 1 July 2015
Cash at bank 40,000
Accounts Receivable 95,000
Shares in Wesfarmer’s Ltd 80,000
Plant and Equipment (net) 550,000
Land and Buildings (net) 650,000
Total Assets 1,525,000
Accounts Payable 220,000
Bank Loans 200,000
Total Liabilities 500,000
Issued Capital 900,000
Retained Earnings 125,000
Total Shareholder’s Equity 1,025,000
The identifiable net assets of Nigeria Pty Ltd acquired by FederationLtd , valued at fair value at date of acquisition comprise the following:
Accounts Receivable 20,000
Motor Vehicles 50,000
Plant and Equipment 150,000
Land and Buildings 300,000
Accounts Payable 105,000
Bank Loan 100,000
In addition Nigeria Pty Ltd has unrecorded contingent liabilities estimated at $65,000
The terms of the acquisition are as follows:
- Cash consideration of $120,000 to be paid to Nigeria Pty Ltd on 30 June 2016. This amount is to be raised by a bank loan (Federation Ltd’s incremental borrowing rate is 8%)
- The shares in Wesfarmers held by Federation Ltd which have a fair market value of $90,000 at 1 July 2015 are to be transferred to Nigeria Ltd.
- Federation Ltd is to issue 50,000 shares to Nigeria Pty Ltd . At 1 July 2015 Federation Ltd’s shares are trading at $4 per share.
- Federation Ltd incurred legal expenses of $10,000 and share issue costs of $4,000 in connection with the acquisition
- Under the terms of the acquisition Federation Ltd is required to issue further shares to Nigeria Pty Ltd if the value of Federation Ltd’s shares fall below $4 per share by 30 June 2016. It is estimated that there is a 20% likelihood that the share price will fall to $3.50 by 30 June 2016.
Prepare the journal entries in the books of Federation Ltd to record the acquisition of Nigeria Pty Ltd and aTrail balance with entries then a statement of financial position for Federation Ltd immediately after the acquisition.
Example for trail balance with adjusted
items amount Adjusted
Cr Trail balance adjusted