Assessment type: Assignment – individual assessment
Purpose: This assessment is designed to allow students to demonstrate a higher level of understanding of accounting standards and theoretical and philosophical approaches, as they apply to the resolution of more complex accounting problems. This assessment relates to Learning Outcomes a, b and c.
Topic: Making sense of company executives’ compensation and employee benefits through the lens of cultural effects.
Task Details: Download the latest annual report of a listed company from your home country and the latest report of a listed company in Australia. Analyse the compensation schemes to which the two company’s executives are entitled.
Note the accounting standards of executive compensation schemes used in Australia are AASB 2 and AASB 119
(http://www.aasb.gov.au/Pronouncements/Current-standards.aspx). You need to find out what are the applicable standards in your home country.
Analyse the applicable accounting standards to determine the reporting requirements under each accounting standard. You analysis should include:
· the initial recognition,
· measurement; and · disclosure requirements prescribed by each standard.
Analyse the annual reports of your chosen companies in light of the standard requirements. Your analysis should include the following:
· Are the annual reports in compliance with the standard requirements? You need to use extracts from the annual reports to support your analysis. Provide screen shots of the relevant sections from the reports in your assignment.
· If they are not in compliance, explain the reason. You may find the explanations in the notes to the financial statements or in the Director’s Report.
· Compare and contrast the two annual reports, identify the differences in disclosures of executive compensation schemes and employee benefits. Do not discuss these differences in terms of accounting standard requirements. Explain ACC302 ADVANCED ACCOUNTING T215 DH AD 30 JULY 2015 Page 8 of 12 *AUSTRALIAN INSTITUTE OF BUSINESS AND MANAGEMENT PTY LTD ABN: 72 132 629 979 CRICOS 03171A these differences in light of cultural effects, e.g., language, religion, legal systems etc., and strategies of the organizations, etc.
Students are to critically analyse and develop supported recommendations and conclusions, in reference to the relevant accounting standards in your home country and in Australia for the accounting disclosures of such compensation schemes, taking into account any potential cultural effects
The analysis and supported recommendations need to be formatted into a professional report as would be expected in a modern organisation by management and clients.
Research Students need to support their analysis and recommendations with the text and requirements: minimum of 10 recent and relevant academic journal articles. Other sources may also be used but students need to be confident of the academic validity of such sources.
Students need to stay within the assigned word limits, and indicate the word count on the cover page of the assignment. Marks will be reduced for assignments shorter than or greater than the minimum word count.
· The report should be typed double spaced, using Times New Roman font size of either 10 point or 12 point.
· Every page should be clearly numbered.
· The assignment should include the following parts:
(a) A title / cover page, which indicates basic information such as Subject title, Subject code, Trimester number, Assignment title, group members’ full names and KOI student numbers, word count and name of the tutor;
(b) Executive Summary, (c) Table of Contents;
(d) Main contents – Introduction, analysis using suitable headings and subheadings, Conclusions and Recommendations, Appendices (if any);
(e) References (using Harvard – Anglia style); and/or