1. Provide an example of compliance requirements that may apply to your organisation
or industry from each of the following categories:
a) Commonwealth or state and territory legislative requirements
b) Codes of practice
c) Local government requirements
d) External standards
2. How can continuous improvement be applied to sustainability policy? How does this
help achieve sustainability objectives?
3. When should you consult with stakeholders about sustainability policies? What are
the possible consequences of neglecting to consult with stakeholders? How might
you resolve any dissent with key stakeholders?
4. What is a SWOT analysis? How might it be applied to sustainability policies?
5. Think of an organisation that does not have a sustainability policy. This may be your
workplace or another organisation with which you are familiar, including community
organisations. Briefly describe this organisation then outline the steps you would take
to scope and develop a sustainability policy.
6. Imagine you are responsible for an initiative targeted at reducing water use in your
a) Describe how you would decide between the following options for reducing
ï‚§ Installing rainwater tanks and plumbing them to supply toilets
ï‚§ Replacing all toilets with dual-flush systems
ï‚§ Replacing all taps with low-flow alternatives
b) Outline what you would include in a report to management summarising your
7. Imagine you are responsible for an initiative to improve the amount of paper, glass
and plastic that is recycled by your organisation. Three months after announcing the
initiative, you receive the following information:
ï‚§ Recyclable waste collections have increased by 5 per cent, versus the target of 15
ï‚§ General waste collections have largely remained static over the three-month
periodï‚§ General waste receptacles contained an average of 20 per cent recyclable waste
at the last audit
a) What actions would you take in response to this information?
b) What communications would you plan to support these actions?
8. Why are recording and reporting systems an important part of implementing
sustainability policy? Describe the systems in place at your organisation and how they
relate to the quality assurance system of your organisation.
9. Why should you keep stakeholders informed of progress and final outcomes?
Describe three strategies for providing information to:
ï‚§ employees involved in implementing the initiative
ï‚§ management with oversight of the initiative.
Read the case study, and then answer the following questions that follow.
A large city library is aiming to reduce their energy use by improving the efficiency of
their lighting systems. As each of the existing globes in the office and community areas
fail, they plan to replace them with energy efficient lighting. They also plan to install
movement sensitive lighting in storage and archive areas. They hope to reduce their
overall electricity costs by 10 per cent once these initiatives are complete.
The Office Manager is responsible for the overall initiative. The maintenance staff will be
used to replace the existing light globes as required, and they have received approval to
use the council electrician to install the movement sensitive lighting.
There are 30 staff members at the library and they have hundreds of visitors each day.
1. Develop a policy statement for the library that demonstrates their commitment to
reducing energy consumption.
2. Can you identify any other initiatives that would allow the library to reduce their
energy consumption without significant expenditure?
3. Write an implementation plan for the initiatives to reduce energy consumption;
including those you identified in question 2. This should include:
ï‚§ key activities
ï‚§ time lines
ï‚§ reporting requirements.
4. Develop a communication plan for the energy saving initiatives. This should include: Crown Institute of Business and Technology Pty Ltd ABN 86 116 018 412 National Provider No: 91371 CRICOS Provider Code: 02870D
North Sydney Capmpus: 116 Pacific Highway North Sydney NSW 2060 P 02 9955 0488 F 02 9955 3888
Sydney CBD Campus: Level 5, 303 Pitt St Sydney NSW 2000 P 02 8959 6340 F 02 9955 3888
BSBSUS501A Assessment Task 2 Written Response & Case Study v1.0 Page 3 of 3
ï‚§ consulting with relevant stakeholders
ï‚§ promoting energy saving initiatives
ï‚§ reporting on progress and final outcomes.
5. Explain how you might monitor progress towards the energy reduction targets. What
other elements might you monitor as part of this initiative?
6. Choose one of the additional initiatives you identified in question 2. Document a
procedure for employees to follow.