The aim of this unit is to provide learners with a knowledge and understanding
of different administrative functions and roles and to provide them with the
skills to organise events and activities.
This unit will allow you to develop and practise your knowledge, understanding and skills as administrators or managers by examining the administrative functions within organisations. The unit is about preparing and coordinating operational plans and managing time effectively and developing
self to meet the needs of an organisation.
The unit investigates the roles and responsibilities of key people within the organisation helping to meet its objectives.
Learners will find out to how to manage events or activities. They will have the opportunity to investigate and participate in the running of an event in which they will take a major role in managing a range of key resources. This is a practical unit which will prepare learners for a management
Scenario: Careers Fair
Deciding what Career to pursue in future for students is a tough decision, especially when there are so many factors to be considered. As a 19-year-old, Joe wanted guidance in choosing a career path which matched his skills, as well as something he had an interest for.
Like Joe, many students face the same plight, therefore for this assignment you are required to set up a Careers fair for students on the HND programme within LSBF.
You will be put into groups which will represent different parts of the Management of an event such as the Marketing, Financial, Legal and Operational. Each task within the assignment tackles particular components of the setting up of the event such as, the planning, allocation of resources, execution of the event and finally the critical evaluation of how you did.
Task 1 : (LO 1)
1. Write a report on the benefits of carrying out an identified event or project within an agreed time scale in order to meet the need of the project
2. List all the documents that are required for such an event using your experience as an event planner to evaluate and analyse the importance of these documents
3. In your report you must ensure that resources that are required for this event are listed and their benefits to the project/event are discussed and documented within your report
4. The final part of your report should give a critical analysis of how reviews and evaluations including the methods and resources were carried out
Task 2 (LO 2)
Your Report has been successful and you have convinced the Director and Board members to put on the event/project. Your next task is to present to the board your plan of action.
1. In your report you will document how you will Set up the Project, choose the completion date and allocate responsibilities
2. Detail within your report what leadership, effective time management skills will be necessary to pull such an event /project off
3. Assess and document the significance of stakeholder analysis when formulating new strategy
4. Take corrective action if necessary to keep the project on schedule and document this in your report
Task 3 (LO 3 )
When working on putting on a project, it can never be successful without a team, whom manage different parts of the project for it to come together as a whole successfully. Therefore you are also required to document the following:
1. Choose the Appropriate size team and document each personâ€™s role writing down what skills this person has in adding value to the project, and hence why you choose that person to play that role
2. Document within your report what types of team building and conflict management skills are required when diffusing anger
3. Detail methods of co-ordination and communication used, and why you believe they were the most appropriate methods. Do not forget to include documents i.e. minutes of meeting, emails, telephone call logs etc.
4. What, why and how are resources going to be used in order to ensure the project is a success?
Task 4 (LO 4)
By now, having used and documented a range of communications methods needed to run a project or an event successfully, you are required to do the following:
1. Create clear records of communication both internally, externally and of team meetings.
2. Document where use of information technology has been used
3. Produce information clearly, regularly and on time documenting when and what was produced.