1. Identify the key trends and/or developments in the general environment that affect the
two industries mentioned in the case. Explain how each is an opportunity and/or threat.
2. Evaluate the attractiveness of the dairy processing industry in both Hong Kong and
mainland China by conducting a systematic analysis of the competitive forces. Specify the
key changes that have occurred in this industry since the 2008 melamine-in-milk scandal.
3. Specify how the specialty meats industry differs strategically from dairy processing
particularly in terms of competitive forces. Comment on the relative attractiveness of the
two industries and the implications for Bauhinia (prospects, focus of transformation).
4. Comment on the specific need for change and the capability to change of this traditional
family enterprise. Specify and justify mission and vision statements for Bauhinia.
5. Identify two objectives for each dimension of a balanced scorecard for Bauhinia. Explain
the importance of each. Specify the key performance indicator(s) corresponding to each
of your strategic objectives. Describe how you would measure each KPI.
6. Specify 3 different projects (or initiatives) that you would recommend to Victor for
transforming and/or developing Bauhinia. Identify and apply appropriate criteria to
evaluate, compare and rank the 3 projects (or initiatives).
7. Based on your vision for Bauhinia, outline a strategic transformation plan. Specify the
nature and timing of key projects (or initiatives) that Bauhinia should undertake during
the next 3-5 years based on its strategic objectives. Specify the key resources and
capabilities needed to implement your plan and comment on their availability/scarcity.
8. Similar to David battling Goliath, small businesses often struggle to compete against
industry giants. Identify the corporate-level strategic alternatives available to Bauhinia
and recommend what it should do to remain successful. Discuss the pros and cons of
adopting more formal systems and structures.