The following matters should be given particular attention:
1. Writing assignments must not exceed the word counts indicated. Double space your pages, use a 12-pt Times New Roman font, use 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page.
2. Your essay must include an abstract/synopsis, introduction, essay body that clearly addresses the problem areas, a conclusion and a properly referenced bibliography. (refer to the research essay marking rubric for further guidance)
3. Evidence of extensive research beyond the prescribed text is required. Ensure these are referenced appropriately in your bibliography. Refer to the statement regarding plagiarism.
4. NO extensions will be granted unless supported by appropriate documentation prior to the due date.
5. The word count for the research essay is 3000 words. Please refer to the Research Essay Marking Rubric for the specific allocation of word count for each specific section of your research essay (refer point 2 above).
6. Points (fractional marks) have also been allocated to each specific section of your research essay.
7. Individual must select a company from the Australian Securities Exchange Top 100 (ASX100) website and download the 2015 annual report. Groups cannot do the same company and preferably from different ASX sectors and should discuss their selection prior to commencing their research essay. No banks allowed.
RESEARCH ESSAY TOPIC
“The stable-measuring-unit assumption is one of the five assumptions described by the Project Advisory Committee of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants as ‘imperatives’, it is by no means generally accepted by accountants. Indeed it relates to the most controversial aspect of accounting theory and practice yet encountered” Fitzgerald, A., 1963, Analysis and Interpretation of Financial Statements, 3rd. Ed., Butterworths, p. 14.
The AASB / IASB continues to struggle with the use of multiple measures in accounting standards. In relation to Fitzgerald’s comment over 50 years ago undertake the following:
Select a company from the Australian Securities Exchange website and download the 2015 annual report.
With reference to the above statement describe what you understand the measurement problem to be and provide examples from your selected annual report.
Discuss the problems of measurement in the context of the present AASB / IASB standards and framework using your selected annual report to provide examples.
Evaluate the measurement problem in your selected annual report in the context of AASB / IASB standards and framework.
Comment on the relationship between the measurement employed in your selected annual report and the provision of decision useful information; provide examples.