The objective of this assignment is for you to demonstrate your critical thinking skills developed in this unit to link the theories we have discussed with the practical functions of a particular tourist destination region, i.e. to identify what is actually occuring or being practised at a place, and relate this to the theoretical concepts introduced in this unit.
1. Identify a tourist destination region (TDR) that you are familiar with or have recently visited. This selected TDR will be used as a basis for you to compare and contrast relevant theories introduced in the unit to practical aspects of the TDR.
2. Your essay should commence with an introduction that identifies the TDR and the theoretical concepts that you are going to use, compare or contrast with regard to how they relate to the practical aspects of the TDR.
3. The body of your essay then needs to be written around an argument that considers and critically discusses your selected TDR in relation to these theories and according to the following criteria:
• provide an overview of how tourism has developed in your TDR (ensure you link your discussion to theories introduced in Topic 5 – Places in tourist itineraries)
• identify and explain what factors make the TDR attractive to visitors (ensure you relate your discussion to theories introduced in Topic 4 – People as tourists and Topic 8 – Tourist attractions). Your discussion should identify and explain the main visitor markets that visit the TDR (support your discussion with relevant visitation statistics)
• identify and explain the role of a specifc tourism or hospitality industry in your TDR – for example, conferences, events, tour operations, accommodation, restaurants (refer to Topic 9 – Tourism industries). Note: You are required to select an industry sector relevant to your degree program, for example, Conventions and Events, or International Tourism & Hospitality Management, or other if applicable
• explain if principles of sustainable tourism are evident within your TDR (ensure you relate your discussion to theories introduced in Topic 6 – Whole tourism systems and Topic 7 – Sustainable tourism)
• conclude your essay with an overview of the main findings of the critical review of the TDR you have selected to analyse.
4. You are required to search for, find and use at least 5 tourism academic reference sources, i.e. academic books and/or academic articles published in academic journals to discuss the theories in relation to your TDR. You also need to use specific references about your TDR or a comparable situation (which may include industry, web and academic sources, e.g. WTO or regional statistics, national or local government tourism information). Additionally, the textbook is a mandatory reference for the essay, and at least 2 of the unit Readings – and these are not counted as part of the minimum 5 academic sources required. Thus, aim for at least 10 references for your essay. IMPORTANT NOTE – 5 marks will be deducted from your final mark if the textbook and 2 unit Readings are not included as references.
5. Include a reference list which conforms to the Harvard Style as per the Harvard Referencing
6. Assignment reflection and Turnitin Report – attach a copy of your Turnitin Orginality Report for this assignment and provide a 100 to 200-word reflection of how your information literacy skills may have been enhanced through this assignment.