You are working on the front desk when Mrs Menzies arrives for her pedicure appointment. Katrina, the beauty therapist carrying out the treatment is running a bit behind. Write a short dialogue between Mrs Menzies and yourself in which you show how you would greet her, the questions you would ask to determine her reason for coming to the salon, how you would explain the situation to her and what actions you would take. Include any forms of non verbal communication you might use. (12 mks)
Discuss how you would deal with the following situations.
A regular client does not show up for a three hour appointment she has booked.
- Call your client to make sure that she is ok. If she is ok then just provide a friendly reminder to call if you cannot make an appointment.
A customer comes in and wants to speak to the manager about a complaint. The manager is currently out of the salon.
- Advised customer that the manager is not available and offer assistance with the complaint. Take note while listening to the customer so you show they are been taken seriously. Advise that you will pass on information as soon at the manager returns.
A client wants to purchase a foundation that is out of stock. She desperately needs it for a function tomorrow night.
- Check for samples of the foundation and also offer other options that a similar colour.
It is extremely busy in the salon and you cannot fit a regular, valued client in for a nail appointment. You have a short break in the afternoon but it is not long enough for a full manicure.
- Apologise to the customer and advise that anyone cancels their appointment that you will call her straight away.
Consider the following scenarios and suggest some treatments / services you could recommend for each client and how you would sell the benefits to the client.
• Janie has very fair brows and eyelashes. She is going on holidays to Fiji and doesn’t want to wear mascara as she will be swimming a lot.
- Advised Janie of the eyelash tint. That way her eyelashes remain darker with the application of mascara.
- Kate has a new job as a sales assistant in an up market boutique. She worries about the state of her nails which are badly bitten.
- Talk to Kate about a nail treatment to make her nails more presentable. Then discuss a plan to help her grown her nail grow. Eg. nail strengthener.
- Lee has a lot of blackheads on his face which cause him embarrassment. He works as a mechanic.
Read the following scenarios and decide: Is the client eligible for a refund? Why or why not?
• Jeanette brings back a nail polish that is missing the applicator brush. She has a receipt but the salon she purchased it from is displaying a sign that states “No refunds are given under any circumstances.”
Carol wants to return a lipstick her sister purchased as a gift as she does not like the colour. She does not have a receipt but she is a regular customer.
James purchased a foot scrub at a discounted price due to damaged packaging. He wants a refund as it gave his face a rash when he used it.
Carolyn has returned with a moisturiser she purchased two days ago as confirmed on her receipt. She says the tester she tried on the day of purchase contained an SPF15 but the product the sales assistant gave her did not. (12 marks)
Why is it important to farewell a client properly as she leaves the salon? What is an example of an appropriate farewell? (6 marks)
Using the information provided, schedule in the client’s appointments as best you can for Saturday at Seabreeze Beauty Salon. The hours of business are 9.00am to 3.00pm. (15 marks)
Lunch breaks are as follows:
Katrina at 12.00, Elizabeth at 12.30 and Tia at 1.00pm
Katrina is also out of the salon from 2.00.
Mrs Jones wants a Deluxe Facial with Katrina first thing in the morning (90 mins). Her daughter Karen wants a manicure and pedicure at the same time (60 mins each).
Jenny wants to book an eyelash tint at 10.30 preferably with Katrina. She also wants to book her husband Michael in after her for a full body massage (60 mins).
Jack wants a mini facial in the morning (30 minutes he does not mind who with). Meanwhile his sister Margaret is keen to have another cellulite treatment with Tia (90 minutes)
Cassie would like a half leg wax preferably around 10.30 (30 minutes).
Ginny has a gift certificate for a full body massage and has been recommended Elizabeth. She would like morning as well.
Fleur, Ros and Kerry are part of a bridal party and would like eyelash tints done back to back. (30 mins each)
Mrs James requests Elizabeth for an afternoon pedicure (60 minutes) and deluxe facial (90 mins).
Mrs Blake would like a Full leg and bikini wax at 12.30 while her daughter Anna Nicole wants a half leg and mini facial at 1.30 (90 mins - preferably with Tia).