ITECH 5500 Professional Research & Communication
1. You are required to select only one famous (current or past) person from one of the following category lists of either Leaders or Academics or Business Professionals:
· Tony Abbott (Australia)
· Bill Shorten (Australia)
· Al Gore (USA)
· Hillary Clinton (USA)
· Margaret Thatcher (UK)
· Noam Chomsky (USA)
· Milton Friedman (USA)
· Lawrence Krauss (USA)
· Karl Kruszelnicki (Australia)
· Donald Trump (Trump Organization)
· Andrew Forrest (Fortescue Metals Group, Minara Resources)
· Tim Cook (Apple)
· Sheryl Sandberg (Facebook)
2. You are then required to search and watch YouTube videos on speeches/talks by the person you have selected and analyse their communication styles, skills and effectiveness in terms of conveying their messages.
Hints: For the state leader/politician, look at campaign speeches, inaugural speeches, election debates, and interviews etc. For academics, look at speeches at seminars/workshops/interviews or significant lectures. For business professionals, look at seminar/workshops, speeches to staff/employees, and speeches at product launch or interviews etc. Note that you need to record all the links on the videos that you selected to watch towards completing this task and include in the report.
3. You are then required to carefully note issues on their communication styles, skills and effectiveness. You need to perform a critical analysis on the individual, highlighting the positive and negative aspects of their communication styles, skills and effectiveness. For example, such things may include verbal and non-verbal communication, level of animation, logical sequence of statements, how they deal with criticism (if applicable), depth of lectures/answers/rebuttals, ability to convey their message etc. In any case, you must support your analysis with theories and concepts from other authenticated sources of information (books, journal articles, other online materials etc.) on communication styles, skills and effectiveness.
4. Finally, you are required to present a written critical analysis of 1000-1500 words in report format.
The critical analysis report should primarily include-
a) A Cover page and a TOC (Table of Contents)
b) An introductory statement, in your own words, that introduces what your report is about;
c) Identification of the communication styles, skills and effectiveness of the selected person;
d) Critical analysis of the communication styles, skills and effectiveness of the selected person;
e) Conclusion that draws together your critical analysis of the overall investigation.
f) Referencing using APA style.