There are three components to this unit. Assessment 1 requires you to review the administrative system currently being used by a gardening business called ‘Clippers Gardening Services’. As part of this review you will be researching new administrative systems and making recommendations in the form of a written report to management about your finding.
Clippers have experienced expansion over the last six months, growing from only employing one employee to five employees. Due to this rapid growth, the dramatic increase in the number of quotes being written and the addition of four new employees. Management feel that there are elements of their current administrative system that need to be improved. The first review they would like you to conduct is how they go about quoting on jobs for customers. Use the information given to you below about the organisation, research two possible alternative systems and put forward your recommendations about which system should be implemented.
Some facts about the current administrative system at Clippers Gardening Services:
· The current quotation system Clippers uses is paper based. This means that all quotes that the gardeners give to customers are hand written in a carbon copy book
· Only gardening staff and the owner provide customers with quotations
· Office staff only handle the paperwork after the quote has been accepted
· When gardening staff are quoting on jobs they hand write the quote in a carbon copy book, tear a copy out for the customer and the original is still attached in the carbon book.
· If the customer proceeds with a quote, office staff take a photocopy of the quote and a customer file is created using a paper folder which is filed away alphabetically under the customers’ surname in a filing cabinet
· Clippers office hours are Monday-Friday 8.30-4.30pm. The gardeners work hours are Monday- Friday 8.30am-4.00pm and Saturday 9am-12 noon
Management have identified the following problems with this system:
· There are four gardeners working at Clippers, each of them currently provides quotes to customers. There have been inconsistencies lately as to the different amounts being quoted by each gardener. There seems to be no defined fee structure in place
· Because there is no centralised system where a copy of every quote is kept on file, office staff are unable to access quotes if customers ring up with questions
· If the customer proceeds with the quote, the gardener assigned to the job has to obtain a copy of the original quote from the office
· Because the quotes are written in carbon books there is no way that office staff can follow up on quotes with prospective customers, because the gardeners carry the invoice books with them, and they rarely visit the office
· The quotes are often difficult to read because they are hand written at the time of quoting the customer and the quote is given to the customer on the spot
· Important details are often missing from quotes, because there is no procedure in place to encourage gardeners to collect or record the same information for each quote given
· Management realise that implementing a new system will come at a cost
· Management understand that training staff is important and are fully supportive of this however they have not identified how much support they will give
Clippers Gardening Services
Student assessment information:
· Your task is to research two possible alternative administrative systems to manage the quotation process that Clippers are currently using. You will be required to provide a recommendation as to which system you believe is best suited to this business, for implementation at Clippers. In preparation for this, you are to:
- detail how you would investigate what the requirements of a new administration system
- identify the people you would involve in this process
- document six questions you would ask stakeholders in order to identify the organisations and individuals needs. Don't forget to include any budgetary issues
· Next you are to conduct thorough research on these two possible administrative systems. These systems maybe either electronic or paper based. This will require you to:
- obtain quotes and pricing for all resources associated with these possible systems, including costs for both systems into your report
- provide comments on both the positives and negatives of both systems
- Analyse all prices associated with purchasing the system, any relevant licensing agreements, and customer support or training offered by suppliers
- Make a recommendation about which system you think should be implemented and why you believe this system is the right alternative system for Clippers
· You are to present your findings in the form of a written report, your report must be presented professionally using a report format and covering all of the points listed above
Throughout this task, your assessor will role-play the owner of Clippers. You may contact your assessor to ask further questions throughout this process. Remember to be prepared for any discussions with your manager. Know what you want to find out, and what you want to ask.