Conduct research / reading around the topic of your assessment – make use of a variety of academic sources – books, journals, podcasts, articles, blogs, videos. The unit guide lists text and websites to use (so it’s a good idea to use them!). Always keep a record of your sources / links - otherwise they are difficult to find later. Use website sparingly!
2. Brainstorm your ideas for what you will write about relating to the topic. Use the weekly unit topics as a guide to what you may write about – refer to the unit guide for this.
3. Next, draw up a plan of the report
Paragraph 1 – introduction - link to the assessment task – how are you answering the question?
Paragraphs 2 – 9 - each must have a topic or theme – include 6 academic references (including the text – compulsory).
Paragraph 10 – conclusion (do not added new sources)
4. Write a first draft your report – only use the 3rd person (remove ‘me’, ‘I’, ‘my’ and ‘mine’) – leave it for 24 hours to rest this will make editing easier.
5. Print a copy of the report and read it aloud– proof reading is critical.
6. Edit your work – take out information which you may have written about twice – avoid repetition of ideas. Avoid using the same word twice in one sentence – use the thesaurus as a guide. Make every word count –please write clearly and concisely (do not waffle).
7. Complete a spell check and ensure the correct use of word (ie: there, their, too, to, two...), apostrophes, company name and capital letters.
8. Reference list must be according to Harvard Referencing format - list the sources (A-Z) according to the sources you use in text and referenced in the correct format according to your source.
9. Ensure the layout features of the report are correct – font, spacing, paginated, name with student number in the header or footer.
10. Submit via Moodle – sign the student declaration as your submit - due in week 5.a) Demonstrate an understanding of the nature of contemporary business and business activities and operations
b) Demonstrate an understanding of how functions such as marketing, financial management, and IT strategy contribute to business operations
c) Describe and discuss the major management functions of planning, organizing, leading, and controlling in organisations
Select and research an organisation which has been recently featured in the media over the last 6-12 months because of a change in its structure or strategy. You are to write a report identifying the major management issues and challenges it presents. You should refer to a minimum of six sources in your report. The compulsory textbook for this subject is a mandatory academic source.
Sources may include:
· Article from a business magazine,
· Newspaper or other journal,
· Case studies,
· Radio broadcast, a podcast etc,
· Company reports and accounts.
If you use an organisation’s website – this should be used for the purpose of gathering information as this is written in a subjective manner. Please avoid the use of Wikipedia as this is a non-academic source. ALL in text sources you use must be referenced according to the Harvard Referencing Style.
Statistical / diagrammatic / graphical evidence / logos may be included as an appendix /appendices with appropriate information to support the report. These must also be referenced according to Harvard Referencing Style.
The 1,000 word report MUST:
1. Include a working title.
2. Be presented as a Word document, white background, A4 Portrait format, Arial font – 11/12pt, using black font colour.
3. Have one and a half spacing (1.5) between the lines.
4. Have page numbers.
5. Contain your name and student number (header or footer).
6. Be submitted on-line via Moodle by the due date and time (no emails).
7. Student declaration required via electronic submission.