Goal of the Project: Apply your understanding of Microeconomics to current trends and changes in the market. To achieve this you will relate microeconomics concepts while summarizing two news articles which you will select yourself. As you work through the course search for these articles that relate to your chosen topic.
Requirements: Choose a microeconomics topic that interests you. It could be a particular consumer trend like the explosion of demand for IPADS, the rising costs of oil products and how they impact demand, or the supply of healthcare services, etc. As you work through the course find two (2) articles that relate to your chosen topic. Review each of these articles for their meaning and relatedness to the chosen concept(s) from the textbook. Make sure these articles relate to microeconomics – the firm and individual level, rather than macroeconomics at a national or global level.
Please follow these guidelines:
1. Use different sources of media for your information. Use Google news or particular websites of interest to find appropriate articles. The more you review, the more you will see how the social science of microeconomics affects everything that we do in our daily lives. Newspapers, media clips, magazines, journals are acceptable. However, you may not use resources from other textbooks.
2. Clearly state which concept(s) you are attempting to apply, and from which chapter. Always work with the chapters you have already covered. (It does not make sense for you to cover concepts from chapter 9 if you are only on chapter 3).
3. In your compilation you must include copies of all of the materials that you used for your review. For example, if you use a newspaper article, a copy of said article would be required with your final submission.
4. Elements of the Review:
a. The review should begin with a summation of each article clearly demonstrating an understanding of the key microeconomic forces at play.
b. From there, the review should focus on analyzing the article material using the information from your textbook.
c. You should draw opinions and conclusions which clearly demonstrating that the concept(s) chosen within the textbook are in fact at work in the content of each of the articles.
d. You will be marked on the following:
i. Key microeconomic concepts of each article summarized in your own words. (Note: Your paper will be reviewed for originality of work, and to ensure that it is not plagiarized).
ii. You may submit your article yourself, to determine if your paper meets this requirement).
iii. Key microeconomics concepts of each article are related to the appropriate concepts within the textbook, and at the same level of detail and analysis as shown in the text.
iv. Facts in articles used to demonstrate appropriate usage.
5. The review must be typed, using appropriate sized font (12 point is acceptable).
6. The article review should be 3-5 pages in length, double spaced, with 3 being the minimum and 5 being the maximum allowed.
7. Late submissions will not be accepted.