You are a Marketing Officer working for Royal Caribbean International. Your bosses need to
know if the products they are offering on their New Zealand ‘Explorer of the Seas’ Cruise
experience are meeting the needs and preferences of their guests. Royal Caribbean
International want to achieve a five star customer satisfaction rating with the aim of becoming
the best cruise line in the South Pacific region. Key aspects of the cruise experience include:
• Ports of call
• Shore excursions
• The ship itself
• On-board activities (entertainment, pool, kids’ activities, seminars, spa, bars, dance
• Dining options (range, food quality, service quality, etc.)
• Rooms (cleanliness, quality, noise, bed comfort, bathrooms, etc)
• Whether people would recommend the cruise to others or whether they would return
You decide to undertake a marketing research project and need to produce a marketing
research plan. The plan must contain the following:
1. Introduction: A short introductory background to Royal Caribbean International (300
2. Research objectives: The research objectives of the report. You can come up with
your own research objectives.
3. Literature review: about guest satisfaction and behavioural intentions in cruising
(about 600 words, 4 academic references minimum).
4. Sampling plan to survey guests.
5. Questionnaire: Design a questionnaire that addresses your research objectives (25
questions maximum). Use your creativity by using different measurement scales such
as workhorse scales. You are welcome to use free questionnaire design websites to
design your survey. Marks will be allocated for presentation. Questions should address
reliability and validity issues.
6. Administration: Explain the administration plan for the survey.
7. Ethical considerations: Recommend ethical considerations for the research you will