The purpose of this assessment task is for you to apply management theories to a particular business scenario. The aim is to create specific, implementable suggestions based on your analysis.
As noted in the Assessment 2 outline, the business that the case study is based upon, Landfill Gas Industries Pty Ltd (LGI Pty Ltd), is the same business you’ve have seen throughout this unit.
Your task is to address the scenario above, choosing either the:
ï‚· classical viewpoint – focusing specifically on the ideas of FW Taylor.
ï‚· behavioural viewpoint – focusing specifically on the ideas of Abraham Maslow.
Landfill Gas Industries Pty Ltd is an Australian owned and operated business.
Its core business is offering complete solutions for landfill owners and operators. It specialises in the landfill gas industry by offering extraction, flaring and monitoring system design, supply, installation, and build own and operate power generation.
Recently, a business contracted by LGI Pty Ltd to build the stacks for its flares reported a 30% decrease of output, which results in lower productivity and a backlog of work at LGI Pty Ltd.
Adam Bloomer, the manager at LGI Pty Ltd, has sought to remediate this issue by sourcing alternate vendors for the stacks overseas. However, this leads to concerns regarding:Based on your chosen viewpoint and analysis, write an essay for LGI Pty Ltd recommending an approach to overcoming its problem. The essay should draw heavily from the insights you gain from applying your chosen academic framework.
1. Introduce the purpose and structure of your essay.
2. Discuss your selected viewpoint and chosen theory.
3. Apply the theory from your selected viewpoint to LGI, identifying any relevant issues. These issues may be drawn from your Assessment 2: Environmental analysis (referenced appropriately) but can also include others.
4. Recommend appropriate management approaches based on the insights you have gained from applying your chosen theory.
5. Be sure to cite relevant academic sources appropriately using the Swinburne University Harvard style guide (see the Student Toolbox for help with how to do this) which should include both your prescribed readings and additional academic resources.
6. Refer to the assessment criteria below
ï‚· the changing status of the Australian dollar and subsequent price variance (possibly affecting profit margin)
ï‚· lost productivity in the period between sourcing new product and delivery of that product
ï‚· decreased profit margins for the business during non-productive periods
ï‚· issues concerning contracted deadlines and penalty clauses.
This situation is common knowledge amongst the employees at LGI Pty Ltd and has caused a significant drop in employee morale and increasing tensions concerning job security