MGT306 â€“ Strategic Management
1. Briefly discuss the meaning and significance of each of the following terms:
a) SWOT analysis
b) core competence
c) distinctive competence
d) company value chain
e) industry value chain
f) activity-based costing
h) weighted competitive strength assessment
2. What are the five generic competitive strategies? Briefly describe each one and identify the type of competitive advantage that each strategy is aimed at achieving.
3. Identify and briefly explain what is meant by each of the following terms:
a) strategic alliance
b) vertical integration strategy
c) outsourcing strategy
d) a first-mover advantage
e) a first-mover disadvantage (or late-mover advantage) (6 Marks)
4. Identify and explain the meaning and strategic significance of each of the following terms:
a) the attractiveness test (as it relates to a potential diversification move)
b) the better-off test (as it relates to a potential diversification move)
c) related diversification
d) strategic fit
e) corporate restructuring (6 Marks)
5. What is the value of total quality management from a strategy-executing standpoint? How does TQM differ from business process reengineering? (5 Marks)
6. Briefly explain What are five components of Corporate social responsibility strategy?
7. Identify the three types of business costs of ethical failures; provide examples for each type of cost. (5 Marks)
8. What is Diamond of National Advantage?
9. Explain the role of leadership in changing a problem corporate culture.