Large scale event projects operate in an increasingly complex macro environment which entails they are both capable of and relied upon for generating a range of impacts in/on the localities, regions and countries where they take place, indeed these impacts are often integral to their success as is support from a wide range of stakeholders upon whom they rely.
In addition, complex event projects are also susceptible to changes and trends in the macro environment which may generate business opportunities for them or indeed create threats to their longer term sustainability.
Your task is to select a large scale event of your choice (to be agreed with the module leader) and produce a report which addresses ALL of the following areas:
Part 1: Produce a product breakdown of your event, leading to a work breakdown structure listing the key tasks required for project completion/event organisation (including approximate dates) and a critical path for your project using appropriate project management techniques. In relation to the critical path of the project identify and discuss the key risks which could adversely impact upon the successful planning, implementation and evaluation of your chosen event. 2000 words.
Part 2: Identify and critically discuss the range of political, economic, social and environmental impacts which have and may arise from the planning and implementation of your chosen event. Discuss how the event organisers could work through the planning and implementation phases and their components (see list below) to further maximise the potential positive impacts and minimise the negative impacts and in each case discuss how these impacts could be measured and evaluated.
- location and venue,
- programme planning,
- event promotion,
- contract management,
- human resource management
Learning outcomes assessed by this coursework:
· Identify and analyse the potential available resources for successful and sustainable event project management
· Apply the theories of general project management to the events industry
· Critically evaluate the potential impacts of event projects from the economic, socio-cultural, political and environmental perspectives.
· Understand and exemplify the need for risk and contract management in the events project cycle.
· Demonstrate the ability to select effective forms of evaluation for event projects