“Within modern computing, every actant acts on or is acted upon by at least one other actant, in order to fulfil the aims of the assemblage.” Discuss this statement by following the tasks below.
Select TWO computing news stories of your choice, published anytime between 01/02/2016 and 15/04/2016. Analyse these using Actor Network Theory.
Your analysis should be written as an essay, and include the following points:
• Describe why Actor Network Theory is a relevant theory for studying computing.
• Name and categorise the actants in your stories. Describe how they are “acting” upon other actants in the assemblage. Include the connection between the hardware and software actants, as well as other categories of actants.
• Discuss how the actions of the software actants can enhance management functions within the computing news stories.
• How can you link your analysis to some of the larger issues/questions raised due to the constant use of computing within modern society. Discuss some of advantages/disadvantages of contemporary computing. To achieve this, compare and contrast the viewpoints of a range of theorists and critics explored throughout the module.
• Conclude by summarising how your answers relate to the statement “Within modern computing, every actant acts on or is acted upon by at least one other actant, in order to fulfil the aims of the assemblage”.
• Add an appendix which includes definitions of at least four computing terms or concepts used in your assignment. One of these terms MUST be software.