You are required to examine and review the MacVille policy and procedure documents (in the additional resources of your Student Workbook) to determine the shortfalls between required sustainable practices and documented approaches to the same.
In doing this you will need to review current usage of resources to gain an understanding of potential for recommending change to organisational practices. After evaluation of this information, you will need to outline revised policy documents for MacVille together with a description of the approaches that can be taken to implementation of the revised policy documents.
1. Review the case study information provided (attached), policy and procedure documents (in the Appendices of your Student Workbook) and legislative and regulatory documents that describe compliance requirements for the business sector.
2. Identify and describe required sustainability initiatives for MacVille.
3. Research and describe best practice models relevant to the business sector, especially as it relates to this case study.
4. Identify and describe shortfalls in the existing policy and procedure documents, by comparing research and information supplied.
5. Make recommendations for the existing policy options based on likely effectiveness, timeframes and budget.
6. Clearly identify and summarise the scope of changes and new documents required that will need to be made to the MacVille policy and procedure set to ensure compliance with requirements of future sustainability initiatives.
7. Identify and describe who could be consulted with to review and develop the revision and creation of policy documents. (This information should be included under the heading 'Personnel Requirements.' below).
8. Write an interim report, by providing two to three paragraphs of explanatory notes under each of the following headings:
a. MacVille sustainability initiatives
b. Best practice models
c. Shortfalls in existing policy
d. New policy requiring development
e. Personnel requirements for policy revisions.
9. Develop a revised set of policy documents including:
a. completed changes to existing policy documents
b. outlines for recommended new policy documents.
10. Review the current resources usage for the organisation (as per the case study information attached).
11. An explanation of how you developed policy that reflects Macville's commitment to sustainability and as a business opportunity.
12. Develop an implementation plan for the new and revised policy documents that includes:
a. a description of the sustainability initiatives being implemented
b. detail of how the new sustainability initiatives have been embedded in the new or revised policy documents
c. an evaluation of the likely effectiveness of the initiatives
d. implementation timelines and milestones
e. strategies to minimise resource use, reducing toxic material and hazardous chemical use and employing life cycle management approaches
f. sustainability or environmental targets and/or key performance indicators, compared to current resource usage
g. organisational costs for implementing the required changes
h. an outline of the monitoring approaches to gather reporting information throughout the implementation stage
i. a description of individual and team responsibilities throughout the implementation stage and procedures to help implement workplace sustainability policy
j. an ongoing method to identify and consult with a diverse range of stakeholders as a key component of the policy development process
k. a description of how continuous improvement for the process will be implemented and managed.
You must provide:
â€¢an interim report
â€¢revised and new policy and procedure documents
â€¢an implementation plan.
Your assessor will be looking for:
â€¢evidence that you have reviewed all legislative, regulatory and organisational documents and identified shortfalls in current practice or current organisational documentation
â€¢evidence that you have reviewed current organisational usage and accurately reflected the case study information to develop an implementation plan that complements organisational requirements.
Adjustment for distance-based learners
â€¢No variation of the task is required.
â€¢A follow-up interview may be required (at the discretion of the assessor).
â€¢Documentation can be submitted electronically or posted in the mail.
Seamus MacVille, the Business Manager of MacVille Enterprises has reviewed some of MacVille's operations and has observed that resource use in the head office is not aligned with sustainable work practices being promoted by the Sustainability Team. He realises that this is at least partly due to existing MacVille policy and procedure documents not reflecting current business sector requirements. Some of the initiatives Seamus wants to see implemented include:
â€¢ re-programming of all air-conditioning services in the head office to be only active in normal business hours:
â€¢ ocurrently air-conditioners are manually switched on and off
â€¢ oIt is the responsibility of the last staff member leaving each day to turn them all off - this is rarely done, and most commonly all air-conditioners are left running 24 hours per day.
â€¢ lights being switched off at night
â€¢ better sorting of recyclable paper from general rubbish
â€¢ encouraging staff use of dual-flush capability of toilets.