HLSC122 Evidence for Practice
Critically appraise the research paper provided in LEO located under the Assessment 3 tile, and read the corresponding health scenario. The research paper should be accessed as a full text and critically appraised using the questions identified in Part A & B, which are based on Greenhalgh et al. (2018). The research paper being critically appraised should be written as a full reference at the beginning of the essay (and included in the reference list). The paper should be referenced in-text according to APA (i.e. author, year) required for direct quotes only.
Writing in an essay format (introduction, body, conclusion, reference list) answer the questions in Part A and Part B. Students should refer to the ACU Study Guide: Skills for Success (2017) – available online - to ensure they follow the university’s essay writing and referencing guidelines.
Small/short headings may be used. Do not repeat the questions or scenario.
Consider the strengths and limitations (critically appraise) the research paper using the following questions. Each paragraph should be supported with a high quality, valid, varied academic reference. This reference is supporting your knowledge and understanding of critical appraisal related to the research paper.
1. Discuss the strengths and limitations of the:
a. Authors’ expertise, based on their cited qualifications and affiliations;
b. Possible conflicts of interest or possible grounds for bias in the paper.
Research Questions, aim or hypothesis
2. Outline the research study’s question/s, aim or hypothesis and present the author’s justification/s as to why their study was needed.
2 Research Design
3. Discuss the research design and how the authors justified their choice of design for their stated research question. Research Methods
4. Discuss the methods the researchers used for: selecting study participants and for collecting and analysing data? What were the strengths and limitations of the methods used?
Results and limitation of the study
5. Discuss whether the results/conclusions of the study answer the research study’s question/s. Describe how the limitations impact the application of the study findings?
Application of research evidence into clinical practice considering the given scenario and clinical question.
Adoption of research findings is often restricted due to a range of key enablers and barriers. Reflecting on your scenario describe some of the enablers and barriers to the uptake of your papers research findings.