MGT301A-Ethics and Sustainability
a) Identify questions of ethics and sustainability andanalyse how they impact on one’s day-to-day work experience.
b) Apply a range of ethical frameworks and develop a vocabulary for ethical issues.
c) Demonstrate the ability to apply the various frameworks that underpin how individuals and organisations make decisions on complex ethical issues.
Analyse the impact of economic, commercial, socialand environmental trends on an organisation’s ethical and sustainability behaviours.
This assessment provides you with the opportunity to engage with and apply ethical frameworks to real-world issues. You will select two ethical issues facing an organisation of your choice and identify ways of dealing with them. By doing this, you will enhance your ability to ethically address the economic, commercial, social and environmental issues you will face in the workplace.
You will complete in-class activities, in modules 2.2 (week 4) and 4.2 (week 8) that will prepare you for this assessment task and give you examples of the ethical issues you could choose.
In Part A, you will address the following questions:
- What are two ethical economic, commercial, social or environmental issues that must be managed by contemporary organisations?
- What are two ethical frameworks that can help inform you about how to best manage these issues?
- In Part B, you will address the following question:
- How does reflecting about the ethical management of these issues inform your
thinking about your future workplace behaviour?
1. How might you change your behaviour in the future based on what you have learned about the two ethical frameworks?
2. How does your professional ethics influence how you might behave?
3. How might the behaviour of senior management influence your behaviour?
4. How might corporate governance structures influence your behaviour?
5. How might the culture of the organisation influence your behaviour?
6. How can ethical codes of conduct be used by organisations to create an ethical culture in organisations?
To complete this assessment, you will need to select two ethical issues and then undertake library research to identify two relevant ethical frameworks. You will then explain how these theories can be used to identify different ways in which these issues can be handled ethically. Finally, you will reflect on your thinking and describe how undertaking this assignment has developed your thinking about your future workplace behaviour.