BSBPMG522 Undertake Project Work
Assessment Task 1
For this assessment you will need to write a report on the following tasks
Part A – Planning
Imagine you are the owner of a café in Melbourne’s CBD with two other partners. Due to the extremely high rent, you are no longer able to afford to run the business, so you consult with an expert who will advise you on how to run the business successfully. The expert suggested that you move to a suburb where the rent is affordable. You and your partners like the idea and decide to move to a new location, but before moving you must prepare a report with the help of your partners considering the points listed below.
- Briefly introduce your project by defining the parameters/scope of the project, including:
- Project name;
- Project period;
- Project objectives;
- Project stakeholders;
- Project budget; and
- Resource requirements and allocation.
- Break down your project objectives by creating milestones and drawing a Gantt chart to represent the following:
- Work breakdown;
- Budget and allocation of resources;
- Risk management; and
- Recordkeeping and reporting.
- Identify one (1) Work Health and Safety (WHS) related risk and create a risk management matrix to record your strategies including responsibilities to manage these risks.
- Develop a project budget and discuss it with your partners for approval.
- Discuss with your partners whether they are clear about their responsibilities and project requirements and consult with them regarding the next step in the planning process.
- Identify the limitations related to reporting requirements
- Complete the project documentations template below and get signed-off from your partners to conclude the project and gain approval.
Part B – Implementing and Monitoring
You and your partners have found a new location to open your café but before opening the business you need approval from the council. Once you’ve gained approval to open the café, the next step is to implement and monitor the plan. You and your partners must implement the project plan you finalised in Part A by considering the following points below:
- Identify three (3) types of data for record keeping. How would you ensure financial record keeping is complete and accurate?
- Develop three (3) strategies you could use to implement and monitor the plan for managing project finances, resources and quality.
- Review with your partners the project outcomes with your project scope and the plan you prepared in part A.
- Check your risk management matrix prepared in Part A and ensure your project outcomes are met and deliverables are achieved.
Part C – Role play
You are to perform a 10-minute role play with the help of your class mates, pretending your class mates are your business partners and team members. During the role play you must ensure you encourage your team members to give you feedback and cover the following points:
1. Consult with your team members about planning the project, taking their views into account. Delegate the
authority to manage the project.
- Discuss three (3) ways you would consider supporting a team with regards to specific needs, keeping in mind the quality of the project and ensuring timelines are met.
- Discuss the quality of your project plan with your team members and implement the project finances and resources.
- Discuss with your team the new role and responsibilities allocated to the staff at the new location and provide support in the transition period.
- Discuss the overall lessons learned from the project.
Assessment Task 2 – Written/Verbal Questions
Answer the following questions
1. Give two examples of project management tools and describe how they contribute to a project
2. Describe at least five (5) types of documents and other sources of information commonly used in defining the parameters of a project.
3. Describe three (3) examples of risk review steps to identify and manage risk in a project.
4. Think of a business and give example of mission statement, long term goals, short term objectives and key operation strategies for the chosen business.
5. Based on the project you have developed in Task 2, explain what organization’s procedures and processes you need to follow related to .
- Lines of authority and approvals
6. What are the project work health and safety requirements that apply to the project you have developed? Also explain two (2) other legislative and regulatory contexts related to this project.
7. Explain what an organizational chart is and how it can help you to ensure project team members know their responsibilities.
8. Name three different ways you can support a team.
9. How can you check you have achieved deliverables?
10. How can you help to ease the transition of staff involved in the project to new roles or reassignment to previous roles?
11. How can you document lessons learned from the assessment and what particular areas might you focus on?