Introduction: It has been argued that cultural capabilities are fundamental to operating effectively in the workplace, community and the university. Cultural capabilities are required for creating safe work and learning spaces. So, to complete this task you will be drawing together all of the learning from the unit to show understanding of strategies to create safe spaces.
Task: Write a formal report to observe and analyse whether characters in a given interaction are showing effective cultural capabilities and maintaining a culturally safe space. Also, recommend how effective cultural capabilities of the people involved could be improved.
The report should:
1. Summarise and describe observations of the interactions related to aspects of cultural capabilities in the interaction.
2. Analyse (with formal references) the safe and unsafe aspects of the interaction, including the physical location and interactions between people.
3. Provide recommendations for creating or sustaining this interaction as a culturally safe space.
In this section you should demonstrate your understanding of the key concepts covered in the unit. Using relevant references, together with your observations in section 2 of elements within the interaction, analyse whether chosen scenes are a safe or an unsafe space and explain why. Support your claims about whether each scene is a safe or unsafe space with readings and definitions of the concepts that comprise cultural safety including cultural intelligence and cultural capabilities.
1. Identify a specific example of cultural capability from the interaction
2. Integrate a definition of cultural capability, power relations and generative interactions
3. Explain how the behaviour in this example relates to the definition and the broader question of cultural capability and safe spaces for the report