Assessment Weight: 50 total marks
- All questions must be answered by using the answer boxes provided in this paper.
- Completed answers must be submitted to Blackboard by the published due date and time.
Submission instructions are at the end of this paper.
This assessment consists of six (6) questions and is designed to assess your level of knowledge of the key topics covered in this unit.
Adapted Harvard Referencing
Holmes has now implemented a revised Harvard approach to referencing:
- Reference sources in assignments are limited to sources which provide full text access to the source’s content for lecturers and markers.
- The Reference list should be located on a separate page at the end of the essay and titled: References.
- It should include the details of all the in-text citations, arranged alphabetically A-Z by author surname. In addition, it MUST include a hyperlink to the full text of the cited reference source.
P Hawking, B McCarthy, A Stein (2004), Second Wave ERP Education, Journal of Information Systems Education, Fall, http://jise.org/Volume15/n3/JISEv15n3p327.pdf
- All assignments will require additional in-text reference details which will consist of the surname of the author/authors or name of the authoring body, year of publication, page number of content, paragraph where the content can be found.
“The company decided to implement an enterprise wide data warehouse business intelligence strategies (Hawking et al, 2004, p3(4)).”
Non - Adherence to Referencing Guidelines
Where students do not follow the above guidelines:
- Students who submit assignments which do not comply with the guidelines will be penalised by 10% from total awarded marks.
- Students whose citations are identified as fictitious will be reported for academic misconduct.
Question 1 ( 7 marks)
Scenario: You are recently employed as a manager in the head office of a Western fast-food chain multi-national enterprise, which is looking to expand into new markets in developing countries and take market share away from the competitors. You have recently been included as a member of a high-level strategic planning committee, which will play a key role in developing the company’s future strategy and direction. You have been invited to offer your considered opinions at the next meeting.
In the context of strategic planning, discuss the strategic options you will present at the meeting.
Question 2 (7 marks)
Explain the advantages and disadvantages of entering a foreign market for an organisation with examples? Explain the Uppsala Model and its function in the context of internationalization.
Question 3 (11 marks)
Scenario: As the expatriate manager of a local subsidiary of a western multi-national enterprise, located in Southeast Asia, you have just been given some disappointing news. Based on recent sales revenue results reported by head office, your business unit will be closed and your team will be disbanded unless you can demonstrate a 30% improvement in sales over the next twelve (12) months. As a popular leader and respected manager, you want to prevent the closure of your business unit.
What motivation and leadership strategies and techniques are required from you to prevent the closure of your business unit? In your response, discuss the likely cultural variables and the relevant motivational theories you will need to consider.
Question 4 (11 marks)
Scenario: As a newly appointed Human Resources Director of a large multi-national enterprise, you have been asked to prepare a new human resource management (HRM) policy for the whole organisation. Some senior managers and other colleagues have criticized the current human resources and employment policy as “too ethnocentric”.
Discuss the possible alternatives to the “ethnocentric approach” to HRM and state which approach you would recommend to be adopted in the new global HRM policy.
Question 5 (7 marks)
Assume Boost Juice intends to expand their business to Asian market and Thailand is their first target market. Using your own knowledge and experience, please determine:
- Which factors does Boost Juice need to consider/analyse before they formulate their strategy?
- Which strategy should they develop in order to succeed in this market?
Please use arguments and examples based on relevant theories.
Question 6 (7 marks)
Hofstede’s study provides a framework for understanding the underlying values in an organisation. Please explain Hofstede’s model in detail and give examples.