MGT101 Managing people and Organization
The purpose of the report is to demonstrate an understanding of management by applying 2 concepts from class and discussing how well or poorly an organisation is being managed.
Topics and concepts will reflect the The Changing Nature of Work (w1) in regards to Management Today (w2) and Organisational Structure(w3)
Task: Company Research
Overview of organisation: Select the organisation and describe the Economic Business sector it belongs to, a brief history (background) of the company, the product and/ or services the company supplies.
Your assessment must include the following content:
Include: Purpose of report – Main points –Methodology (method of research) – Scope.
Explain the purpose of the report (again). Give a brief overview of the topic and chosen organisation. A summary (main points) - what is being presented in the findings section of the report
Overview of organisation:
This is where you add your company overview – class exercise week 3
Topic and organisation:
Use the topic name and company name for this subheading. Briefly present the situation or the scenario that makes your chosen managerial topic of particular importance to this organisation (Why is this topic relevant for this business?)
For instance, if you have identified that there are too many managerial layers (week 2 Management today) you can discuss the impact that this is having on staff morale and performance or you may be aware of a particular incident or situation that has occurred either from your own personal knowledge or from media/news reports.
Managerial Concepts: Add a brief overview sentence.
Select 2 management concepts and describe how they apply in relation to your chosen company. Use supporting examples and/or comparison’s to other organisations where possible
How to choose your Topic and concepts:
The best way to select your Topic and concepts is to review PowerPoint Lecture slides and identify areas that specifically relate to your chosen company.
Alternately, select concepts that you found interesting during lecture.
Then research a little further (read the text book or research online) to ensure you have a clear understanding, then research your chosen company in relation to these concepts.
To help you get started below are a few examples of concepts that could be chosen in relation to each week’s topic. Please note you are not restricted to these examples.
Week 1 Topic: The Changing Nature of the Work
- Influence of technological advancement
- Globalisation and its influence
- “Knowledge” workers and growth of the service industries.
Week 2 Topic: Management Today
- The company’s Value, Vision & Mission statements, what are they/ and their relevance to the chosen company? Include researched company examples of how they reflect these statements OR not .
- Company stakeholders / acknowledgement of these stakeholders (successful? unsuccessful?) Include actual examples relating of how they treat stakeholders
- The effectiveness of the company’s Management structure (layers) and process
Week 3 Topic: Organisational Structure
- Describe your chosen companies’ organisational structure and how it supports, influences the organisations strategies and objectives
- Holistic organisations and the “new” design for organisational structure. Its relevance to your chosen organisation / industry /impact on workers?
- Your chosen company may have a Traditional Company – How is it structured? (week 3: see slide 11) Describe why it is appropriate / relevant for that company / Industry.