HS7405 Research Methodologies For Health Professionals
Subject learning outcomes
Students who successfully complete this HS7405 will be able to:
• Demonstrate an ability to identify, analyse and apply evidence based practice in health professional education
• Discuss and apply methods for generating evidence through quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods research
• Apply ethical principles in the conduct of health professional research.
• Generate accurate and relevant documentation necessary for the conduct of valid research.
Students who successfully complete PC5521 will be able to:
• Demonstrate an understanding and an ability to develop and employ a range of quantitative and qualitative research methods
• Demonstrate an ability critically analyse quantitative and qualitative research data
• Demonstrate an ability to critically analyse and review research reports
• Demonstrate an ability to critically analyse, review, evaluate and design a research proposal
To answer a research question through the development and application of data collection tools for both quantitative and qualitative research and data analysis.
1. Develop a research question relevant to your work as a health professional.
2. Develop a quantitative survey suitable for completion online.
3. Develop an interview guide suitable for a face-to-face interview.
4. Pilot one of these data collection tools with a family member or friend, paying attention to the necessary preparation and ensuring confidentiality.
5. Reflect on the process of collecting data. Describe the experience and any changes you would make to the tool and/or the process as a result of your reflection.
6. Describe how the data could be analysed and justify your approach.
Use research literature to justify your decision making throughout this assignment using APA 7 or JAMA.
Task detail (note all 5 tasks)
1. Provide a brief introduction (no more than 150 words) to the research topic and participants, remembering that this paper will focus on the practical actions required to collect and analyse data. You are not required to provide a literature review in this work, just a few sentences to make sense of yourresearch question.
2. Develop a quantitative survey tool including demographic data, Likert scales and multiple choice option questions. Provide justification for your choice of questions and their format.
3. Develop a qualitative interview guide consistent with a chosen qualitative methodology. Justify you
choice of questions/issues included in the guide and their suitability for the chosen methodology.
4. Recruit an anonymous participant from family or close friends (do not recruit anyone with whom you have a professional or dependent relationship). Describe your preparation for data collection supported by literature. Use one of the tools (either interview guide or survey) you have developed to collect and analyse the data.