EDU3SSA Sport and Skill Analysis
Upon successful completion of this subject, you should be able to:
1. Demonstrate the key teaching points and drills to teach the skills in gymnastics and athletics.
2. Identify the common skill errors and how to rectify them when teaching gymnastics and athletics.
3. Differentiate the methods used to design and develop simple notation systems for the analysis of a sport.
4. Synthesise information from data collected to provide feedback for improving future performance in the sport.
5. Demonstrate the key teaching points and drills to teach the skills in gymnastics and athletics.
Description of Task
Aim: To effectively demonstrate your understanding of the learned theory from the Gymnastics workshops and your ability to apply the information appropriately.
Task: This assessment will be in the form of a written test. The focus of the test will be on both theoretical and practical aspects of Gymnastics. You will be assessed on your application of your knowledge on:
1.classifying skills according to the dominant movement patterns
2.the key coaching points when teaching each skill,
3.the common errors during execution and how to rectify them, and the key drills to teach each skill.
Aim: To eﬀectively demonstrate your understanding of the theory of sport performance analysis by conducting an analysis of a sport of your choice
Task: Steps to complete the analysis:
Step 1. Choose a sport you are keen to observe and analyse.
Step 2. Form your own analysis system by using Franks and Goodman’s (1986) three steps to forming an evaluative analysis system. The three steps are as follows:
a. Describe your sport from a general level to a speciﬁc focus (also decide on the level at which the analysis will take place (i.e. team or individual analysis)
b. Prioritise key factors of performance
c. Devise a recording method that is eﬃcient and easy to learn
Step 3. Attend or watch a game of the sport you have chosen, and use your recording method to collect data relevant for your analysis.
Step 4. Analyse and evaluate the data collected and report the feedback you would give the individual or team in order to improve future performance.