PICT8012 Critical Thought and Research Design
Task 1 (700-words)
Choose a field site you have previously had access to (a public site or a place you inhabited, such as a place of work). Think about the changes that have occurred recently to the access of this site. Be attentive to the special. environment. How has individual and collective movement through this space changed? What types of conversations are people having about the space? What reactions and interactions are occurring? Think about who is included (and excluded) and how this is maintained. Finally, write your notes up in the form of field notes (no more than 700 words).
Field notes contain descriptive and reflexive information. Remember the purpose of field notes are to help you as a researcher remember and reflect on a given situation later in your research. While the style of field notes will differ for all researchers, do remember they need to be accessible and easy to read when you return to the note’s months and years later...
The following list may help guide your observations
1. Date, time, and place of observation
2. Specific facts, numbers, details of what happens at the site and who is involved
3. Sensory impressions: sights, sounds, textures, smells, taste
4. Specific words, phrases, summaries of conversations, and insider language
Task 2 (700 words)
Part A: analytical task
Watch the video of Kanye West’s Meeting with President Donald Trump at the White House in 2018 and, either, select a single frame (i.e. image) or a section of the video up to 5-minutes long.
The link is shared:- (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLmQ57mEGFs)
Select a visual analysis approach and analyse your section of video or image. You can choose to either set a research question of your choice or undertake an inductive analysis where the themes emerge as you analyse.
Part B: write-up
1. Explain why you selected the section of video or image (100 words)
2. Explain why you have selected your data analytic approach (250 words)
3. Summarise the key themes you identify in your visual analysis (250 words)
4. Summarise what you learnt from undertaking your analysis (100 words)
5. Reference list (5-7 supporting academic sources)
Task (700 words)
Focusing on the two media articles given to you, you will need to conduct a manual content analysis of words and phrases used. In no more than 700 words, you will then need to discuss how the word and phrasal choices alter or represent the nature of the issue presented. Compare and contrast the styles and themes contained within the two articles and comment on uses and limitations of thematic analysis as a method.
Boy who grew into evil far-right mass killer as 49 murdered at prayers By Matthew Young, 15 MAR 2019
Orlando Pulse Club attack: 50 killed and 53 injured at gay nightclub in America's worst EVER mass shooting By Anthony Bond, Christopher Bucktin, Sophie Evans, 12 JUN 2016