Assessment Task 3: Property Management
What you need to do:
As part of your role as a property manager you will be required to accurately complete statutory and agency residential tenancy documentation, including authority, leasing and termination documents.
Read through the following scenario and complete the tasks below.
Ian and Rebecca Harrison have recently purchased an investment property through your agency. They are intending to lease the property for a fixed period of at least 12 months and have engaged you to manage the property.
Details of the property are as follows.
Address: 5/256 Black Street, Preston VIC 3072
Description: Two bedroom, brick and tile villa unit approx. 22 years old, central bathroom, laundry and toilet, spacious kitchen with open plan living and dining, large private courtyard and single remote lock up garage. Features: Built in Robes, wall to wall carpet in bedrooms, stainless steel appliances, gas cooking, reverse cycle air-conditioning, gas heating.
- Pest treatments conducts at pre-purchase of property
- Property has been refurbished in full within last 5 years (original plumbing and wiring).
- Reverse cycle air-conditioner
- Electric hot water system
- Stainless steel dishwasher and rangehood
- Hardwired smoke alarms and safety switch tested at pre-purchase XYZ Building and Pest Pty Ltd
Located within walking distance to transport, shopping and cafes.
Task 1: Owners Property Details Sheet and Exclusive Leasing and/or Managing Authority
Complete required documentation
Using the information on the scenario and the additional information below, complete the following documents (these are provided in the student portal in the relevant assessment task).
- Owners Property Details Sheet
- Exclusive Leasing and/or Management Authority
Task 2: Market the Property
Now that you have successful obtaining the authority to act on behalf landlords Ian and Rebecca Harrison you must now market the property in order to secure a suitable tenant(s) for their investment property.
In the space provided below, outline a marketing strategy for advertising the property.
Write an advertisement for the property to be including in the agency’s website listings.
Develop a risk management plan using the table below and include a minimum of three risks and the strategies you would implement to manage the risks. Submit the documents you developed as part of your assessment for this task.
Task 3: Residential Tenancy Agreement
Aaron Hamil has been approved to lease the property. The landlords have requested a twelve month lease starting from the 1st of the following month.
Complete a ‘Residential tenancy agreement’ form and submit it as part of your assessment for this task.
Prepare the Report
Before the tenant moves into the property a Residential Premises Condition Report must be prepared by the agent to accurately detail the condition the property is in prior to the tenant occupying it. This will ensure that the property is returned in as near a condition at the end of the tenancy period.
For the purpose of the exercise, identify a property that you can access, it could be your own home, or that of a family member or friend. Conduct a property inspection as if you were inspecting the property of Ian and Rebecca Harrison and accurately complete the residential premises condition report – make sure you put the address of the Harrison’s property on the report.
Assume the following issues with the property add the following issues to the condition report:
- broken light fitting in the bathroom
- a hole in the lounge room wall
- a broken wardrobe door handle in the master bedroom.
Submit the completed form as part of your assessment for this task.
A week later, Ian (the landlord) knocks on Aaron’s door at 8:00pm. He tells Aaron that he was ‘in the neighbourhood’ and thought he would pop in to fix the wall and take the broken fittings so that he can get them replaced.
- What section of the Act has been breached?
- Outline a landlord’s entry rights and obligations as defined in the Act.
- Under what circumstances can a landlord enter a property? Identify the appropriate section of the Act.
- When can an inspection be carried out on a rental property?
- What must be in a notice of entry?
- Does Aaron have the right to refuse Ian entry?