Background for the Advertisement:
• Provide background on the product, and the organisation company responsible for the product
Context for the Advertisement:
• What is the publication that the ad appears in?
• Where does the ad appear in the publication?
• Who is the potential readership of the publication?
• Are there any recent events, political issues or cultural and social issues of relevance to the ad?
• Are there any recent issues that have affected the organisation or product that may impact on the ad communication?
Audience for the Advertisement:
• Who is the target market/audience?
• Provide a brief profile of the target market/audience
• Provide supporting statistics about the target market/audience.
• What is the message of the advertisement?
• What is the tone of the message?
• How does the ad address the audience?
• Would the audience need to have any special knowledge or experience to understand the advertisement?
• How does the ad tap into the audiences’ needs wants or desires?Metaphors:
• Identify some of the dominant metaphors that exist in the advertisement. Explain how these work to shape understanding and support the message of the ad.
• Explain how the ad addresses the A.I.D.A. model:
Attention: How does the ad attract attention?
Interest: How does the ad maintain interest?
Desire: How does the ad create desire?
Action: What action does the ad suggest and how does it facilitate the next step?