See the Evaluation Criteria further down in this section against which your assignment will be marked.
The following Case Scenario is intended to provide you with an early opportunity in the course to reflect upon some of the issues with which older individuals may have to contend. As you will learn through your lessons and readings, older adults are rarely without any health care concerns.
In fact they usually experience several co-morbidities. For example issues/conditions such as arthritis, hypertension, cholesterol, obesity, hearing and vision loss, - the list goes on; an older person may have to manage all these conditions! However, for the most part older people manage and cope.
The purpose of the following assignment is to:
1. Identify eight (8) possible issues that may impact or interfere with Mr. T.’s health and safety; and
2. To provide feasible nursing actions for four (4) of the identified issues.
Firstly, read the Scenario:
Mr. T, a recently widowed 79 year old, is living in the two-story home in which he and his wife have lived for over 50 years. While his bedroom and bathroom are upstairs, he feel confident to manage the stairs several times a days, since there is only the 1 bathroom. He is about to sit down to have coffee with his two adult daughters and son. As he navigates across the kitchen towards the table, Mr. T. is balancing his walker with one hand, and his coffee mug in the other.
His children immediately start to talk to each other (not necessarily involving him in their conversation), about Mr. T. moving out of the house and into a “very nice independent care facility” nearby. Mr. T. still has his driver’s license and lives in a neighbourhood that continues to include him in all the street’s “events”.
Mr. T. is managing his ADL’s and IADL’s reasonably well. Please read Chapter 7 “Assessment of Health and Functioning” pages 99-116 for assessment information that would be helpful in determining eight (8) potential issues.
What do you see as major challenges for Mr. T.?
What information do you require in order to identify the most pressing issues and appropriate actions? Make sure you cite (reference) any information you use from another author or authors to support your ideas.
• Introduction includes a basic overview of the purpose and scope of the scenario, and how the paper is organized
• Eight (8) potential issues specific to Mr. T.’s health and safety are listed with a relevant nursing action or actions for four (4).
• References are provided to support the actions. (in-text citations)
• Conclusion demonstrates personal understanding of the issues as they relate to Mr. T.
• There is adequate depth of information presented.
• There is integration of the student’s own insights.