6.Explain the empowerment and disempowerment of older people.
Detail two (2) effective re-ablement strategies.
8.Explain the ageing process and the related physiological and psychological changes, including sexuality and gender issues.
9.When working with older people there are several considerations that must be adhered to.
- Explain if Melanie acted in a manner that promotes Betty’s empowerment and maintains her trust or should she have acted differently?
- What is required to maintain Betty’s confidentiality and privacy?
12.What are the factors affecting Betty’s quality of life?
How should Melanie work with Betty to address these factors?
13.Identify services that will meet Betty’s changing needs and support her preference to remain at home.
14.What activities of daily living will be affected with age?
15 Explore and list five (5) services that are available in your community to encourage older people to develop/maintain healthy lifestyle practices.
The required response is five (5) community services
Profile of the Aged Care Sector
Look up ‘Living Longer Living Better’ on the internet.
- Briefly write, what you understand the aims and principles for this strategy to be.
- Outline in your own words one of the key characteristics and how this strategy will help meet the rise in numbers (demographic changes), of older persons in Australia over the next 15 years.
Legal and ethical considerations for working with older people
- List the common care standards, legislations and guidelines that detail the services offered by PCA’s.
- List five (5) things you must comply with as a support worker, PCA to ensure you follow your legal responsibilities and organisational expectations.
The required response is five (5) examples
- List what may occur if you did not comply with these requirements.
Support the rights of older people
- How might you assist a client to participate in decision making about the services they receive in Aged care?
- How might you encourage this action?
22.Briefly write two (2) examples of each of the following types of abuse and explain what 2 of the signs of this abuse may be.
The required response is two (2) detailed examples per type of abuse
- a) Physical abuse:
- b) Sexual abuse:
- c) Emotional (or psychological) abuse:
- d) Financial abuse:
- e) Neglect:
23.If there was an incident or you were concerned with an instance of abusive or neglect, what process would you be required to follow?
24.Discuss how you would assist a client or their advocate to lodge a complaint.
Consider the follow aspects and provide information explaining the structure and or profile relevant to the aged care sector.
- Residential aged care.
The suggested response is approximately 30 words
- Home and community support
- Current best practice service delivery models
- Relevant agencies and referral networks for support services.
(The suggested response is approximately 30 words or 3 – 5 detailed bullet points)
Promote health and re-ablement of older people
29.Explain the impact people’s attitudes have when working with older people.
30.How can you assist older people to recognize the impact that changes associated with ageing may have on their daily living?
31.How do you identify relevant opportunities and strategies to promote client’s healthy lifestyle practices?
32.Provide two (2) examples of situations of risk associated with ageing.
33.It is important to recognise older people’s social, cultural and spiritual differences. Provide an example of each and explain how as an ageing care worker you can respect these differences.