101381 Child Abuse as a Social Issue
1. Choose one topic from the list below that you are interested in
2. Annotate the reference that is provided for your topic from the list below - this is to help get you started.
3. Find two other peer-reviewed sources that discuss this topic. Your sources should be current (after the year 2000) and annotate these sources
4. Write a topic summary, discussing what are the differences and similarities between the readings and then make a clear statement about what you have learnt about this topic (What is the key issue/practice gap to consider?, What is best practice in this area? What are the authors suggesting needs to change? What are some of the solutions that the authors are putting forward, etc)
List of Topics
1. Children from a culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) background - Sawrika, P 2013. 'A qualitative study on the pros and cons of ethnically matching culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) client families and child protection caseworkers', Children and Youth Services Review, vol 35, no.2. pp.321-331. viewed 2 November 2019, Elsevier ScienceDirect Journals Complete, DOI 10.1016/j/childyouth/2012.11.012.
2. Children with a disability - Taylor, J. Stalker, K, & Stewart, A 2015, 'Disabled children and the child protection system: A cause for concern'. Child Abuse Review, 25. 60-73, viewed 2 November 2019, EBSCOhost Academic Search Complete, DOI 10.1002/car.2386.
3. Aboriginal children - Funston, L. & Herring, S 2016, 'When Will the Stolen Generations End? A qualitative critical exploration of contemporary 'child protection' practice in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander commu-nities? Sexual Abuse in Australia and New Zealand, 7 1 51-58, viewed 2 November 2019, ProQuest Central, ISSN 18338488.
4. Children living in low socioeconomic environments - Gupta, A, Blumhardt, H, & ATD Fourth World 2018, 'Poverty exclusion and child protection practice: The contribution of 'the politics of recognition & respect', European Journal of Social Work, 21, 2, 247-259, viewed 2 November 2019, CAUL Taylor & Francis Package 2019, DOI 10.1080/13691457.2017.1287669.
5. Children are girls - Cooney, L, & Rogowski, 5 2017, 'Towards a critical feminist practice with children and families: Child sexual exploitation as an exemplar'. Practice, 29, 2, 137-149, viewed 2 November 2019, CAUL Taylor & Francis Package 2019, DOI 10.1080/09503152/2016/1200345.