NFDN2007 Mental Health Nursing
Part 1: The Case Study (3 pages, double spaced)
1. Select a topic from the list below that will allow you to demonstrate your knowledge regarding mental health nursing:
§ Schizophrenia( My Topic)
§ Personality disorders
§ Crisis intervention, aggression, and violence
2. Write out a story about a situation related to your chosen topic. The situation should:
o Be nursing focused; the story should revolve around the practical nurse and their care/interaction with others
o Describe people involved
o Be written to protect patient confidentiality if it is based on a real life scenario
o Be written in chronological order
o Include important background information
o Provide dialogue if needed
o Present the situation without any attempt at analysis, there should be no literature referenced in your case study
Part 2: The Case Study Analysis (5 pages, double spaced)
1. Describe and analyze two problems presented in your case study. What is a priority problem that occurred and why?
2. Present solutions to the two problems and how they could be implemented. What would you do as the LPN in the case study and why? Your solution should be written from an LPN perspective, keeping in mind the LPN scope of practice, roles, and responsibilities.
3. The analysis of the two problems and the solutions should include literature support. Remember this is NOT a care plan assignment. You need to be looking at the problems holistically and applying all related knowledge to provide appropriate patient care for the case study.
4. Use a minimum of two scholarly references to support your statements (e.g. textbook, peer-reviewed journal article, reputable website, etc…)
References should be within the last five years to ensure they are current. The only expectation are seminal literature