This assignment focuses on the challenges aimed at agricultural and agri-food businesses and corporations to demonstrate responsible practices – sometimes called corporate responsibility (CR) and to use recognised standards to achieve this. By reviewing the audit criteria of standards along with commentary by industry observers and researchers about standards adoption, you should write a short technical article aimed at business CEO’s to explain the benefits and constraints of specific standards.
You should focus your discussion on a particular business sector or supply chain (like the dairy or fresh produce) but you must consider the challenges to both small and large businesses and potential relationships along typical supply chains. The standards you should consider as a minimum are as follows:
- ISO 14001 and BS 8555 – generic environmental management standards
- SA 8000 – social accountability standard and the Ethical Trade Initiative framework
- Sector or supply chain specific standards linked to your agri-food sector with a focus on any environmental or social dimensions of sector standards e.g.
- Red Tractor or GlobalGAP for farms and
- BRC, IFS and ISO22000 for food companies
- You should also relate this to the Ethical Trade Initiative edevelopd by the UK government and industry as this may help you set the framework for comparison of standards – see annex