(Source: physio, 2018)
In old age, people are suffering from different issues that impact person physical and psychological health. Due to the lack of physical work, blood circulation is one of the major issues in old age. For these issues, massage treatment is suggested to improve the quality of life. During this treatment with elders, an effective communication must be maintained to ensure if they feel comfortable and the treatment is effective and enjoyable. Various massage techniques are used for elderly treatment and can be tailored as per individual needs and problem areas. Patient patience tolerance must continually be established throughout the massage.
The physiological effect of this therapy for elderly, this includes decreased cortisol, increased lymphatic drainage, increased vasodilation, increased serotonin, endorphins, dopamine, and increased tissue elasticity (Field, 2016).
(Source: physio, 2018)
A sportsperson is someone for whom physical work is much more than a common person. For example a cricketer, tennis player, boxer. Massage is a significant modality for the person taking part in sports. Massage can be used to reduce tension, pain, tightness, improve recovery, and promote healing that can further maintain or enhance sporting performance. For a sports person, tight muscles can lack elasticity and flexibility for which massage therapy is recommended. It could also reduce the risk of injury. Physiological issues faced by a sports person include DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness). The performance of the person can be hampered if they do not manage and prepare their muscles before and after practice or exercise.
Massage therapy treatment can be used in a range of conditions like tight muscles, Part of a training programme, Pre-event, Delayed onset of muscle soreness, and Post-event. Moreover, a Physiological effect of therapy includes increased cellular exchange, increased capillarization, and Breakdown/realignment of collagen fibers (Palmer, 2017).
2. Research two wellness and relaxation modalities other than massage and describe their individual and shared characteristics. Then discuss the mechanisms by which they are thought to work.
For this research, two modalities that will be discussed are Yoga and meditation.
Yoga is one of the most effective modalities for wellness and relaxation. A person of any age or group can practice yoga; it is most effective for people working incorporates. They do not have time to relax their mind and calm their body, and stress level is very high among them due to workload. Ways through which yoga can improve the health of individuals are:
- Builds muscle strength- with yoga practice, one can build muscles along with flexibility.
- Prevent joint breakdown and cartilage- yoga prevents mitigate disability or degenerative arthritis by soaking and squeezing cartilage that is not used normally.
- Increase blood flow- more oxygen is getting to the cells through with poses like the inverted pose, shoulder stand, and headstand.
- Improves posture- in case of working people, sitting in front of computer screens with the bowed head can cause poor posture of back, neck and other muscles. To bring back the muscles to their original place, yoga is very beneficial.
- Drain lymph and immunity is boosted up
- Drops blood pressure- corpse pose (savasana) of yoga, benefits high blood pressure patients by reducing hypertension.
- Makes person happier- with yoga practice problem of depression is improved, decrease monoamine oxidase level, and increase serotonin levels.
- Lowers blood sugar- people with diabetes, yoga is helpful in many ways like encouraging weight loss, lowering cortisol, and lower adrenaline levels(Birdee, 2017).
As fitness is an approach to train body, meditation is an approach to train mind. Any age group can practice meditation. It is most beneficial to people with more tensed life, introvert people who are facing the problem of anxiety, old age to increase memory. In beginning, it is very difficult to sit at a place for hours and do nothing. Therefore, it is recommended to start meditating with the easiest technique of meditation; it can improve the quality of life to another extent. There are nine types of meditations mentioned below:
- Vipassana/ mindfulness
- Mantra meditation
- Heart fullness
- Transcendental meditation
- Christian meditation
- Tai chi/ Qigong(Kapadia, 2018).
Benefits of meditation for wellness and relaxation are as follows:
- It improves memory
- Improve decision-making ability
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Makes person more creative
- Reduces stress
- Improves focus
- Enhance the immune system
- Reduce physical and emotional pain
- Helps overcome addictions.(Van, 2015)
Birdee, G. (2017). Cross-sectional analysis of health-related quality of life and elements of yoga practice. BMC complementary and alternative medicine, 83.
Dreyer, N. (2015). Effect of massage therapy on pain, anxiety, relaxation, and tension after colorectal surgery: A randomized study. Complementary therapies in clinical practice, 154-159.
Field, T. (2016). Knee osteoarthritis pain in the elderly can be reduced by massage therapy, yoga and tai chi: a review. Complementary therapies in clinical practice, 87-92.
Kapadia, A. (2018). Meditation and Mindfulness: A Call to Action in Elevating Primary Care. The Permanente journal, 22.
Palmer, T. (2017). The Effect of Graston Massage Therapy on Talocrural Joint Range of Motion. International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training, 66-75.
Van, M. (2015). Cognitive benefits of mindfulness meditation. Handbook of mindfulness: Theory, research, and practice, 190-207.