Consider the various reasons for workplace learning (WPL) and create an online artefact that conveys the key purposes of WPL. In preparation for development of your online artefact generate a list of the various purposes that explain why university and industry are conducting WPL. Consider what makes WPL a unique strategy of practice-based education. Choose the 3 purposes that you identify as most important. convey the three primary purposes of WPL that you have identified, and how they can be operationalised. The audience for this artefact would be your colleagues at the workplace. The artefact should be factual and persuasive so that your colleagues better understand WPL and the benefits to you and the workplace.
The key features of workplace learning in organization are as follows:
- These are non-formal, short-term and mostly free of cost learning activity
- It is mostly tailored according to organization’s work environment and work demand
- It is an inclusive workshop focusing on skill and professional development of employees (Marsick & Watkins, 2015).
Purpose of WPL:
There are three specific purpose of WPL which are as follows:
1. Increasing competence of staffs: When WPL is provided mainly for increasing the competence of staff in specific professional area, the following steps are followed to operationalize WPL:
- Analyze the position and current abilities of employees
- Identify the skills gap or competence area where WPL needs to be provided
- Plan, budget, resource and timeframe for training and the delivery options to achieve the desired competence in staffs
- Seek agreement from senior management regarding training
- Analyze the impact of training efforts on professional development of employees and organizational performance
2. Enhance motivation of staff: WPL is one of the strategies that enable organization to increase the motivation of staffs in the job. This helps to reduce turnover rate and minimize intention to leave the organization (Sterling & Boxall, 2013).
WPL learning for the purpose of motivating employees in organization is executed by:
- tracking areas of improvement
- identifying skills gaps and categorizing training needs according to priorities
- All employees are informed about the proposed learning program and the main purpose behind it. The main expectation from the training is that employees acquire the new information or skills and apply them in their work.
3. Build strong relationship with staff: Leaders implement WPL with the purpose of strengthening relationship with staffs (Voegtlin, Boehm & Bruch, 2015).
As such learning activities mainly focus on building strong relationship with staffs, it is operationalized by :
- Assessing workers and work situation
- Deciding action needed to address workplace conflict and improve team work
- Take agreed course of action
- Monitor and evaluate progress within group
Bok, H. G., Teunissen, P. W., Favier, R. P., Rietbroek, N. J., Theyse, L. F., Brommer, H., ... & Jaarsma, D. A. (2013). Programmatic assessment of competency-based workplace learning: when theory meets practice. BMC medical education, 13(1), 123.
Marsick, V. J., & Watkins, K. (2015). Informal and Incidental Learning in the Workplace (Routledge Revivals). Routledge.
Sterling, A., & Boxall, P. (2013). Lean production, employee learning and workplace outcomes: a case analysis through the ability?motivation?opportunity framework. Human Resource Management Journal, 23(3), 227-240.
Voegtlin, C., Boehm, S. A., & Bruch, H. (2015). How to empower employees: using training to enhance work units’ collective empowerment. International Journal of Manpower, 36(3), 354-373.