What factors do you take into account when preparing a workflow schedule for this kitchen and menu?
The following factors are taken into consideration while preparing the workflow schedule for this particular kitchen:
- The number of people expected to have breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- The items in the menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- The capacity of the kitchen, i.e. available space kitchen equipment and utensils (Jeong, 2015).
The following list of tasks to be completed:
- Opening the kitchen in the morning at 6.00 am. The supervisor along with one chef and one helper must be present from the beginning to prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Preparing scrambled eggs, morning tea and chocolate chip biscuits for breakfast.
- Preparing pumpkin, spinach and ricotta cannelloni in lunch along with warm Thai beef salad, afternoon tea and lemon slice.
- Preparing Crumbed chicken Florentine, Stuffed rolled roast beef, vegetable frittata and other items in dinner.
- Cleaning dishes and the kitchen at the close of the day.
In order to define the process of putting in place everything required to cook necessary menu is called Mise en place in French. In this case all the vegetables shall be in place along with the necessary ingredients including oil and kitchen utensils to prepare the menu items in breakfast, lunch and dinner. The following shall be in place:
- Roast potato, pumpkin, steamed green beans, carrot.
- Bowls of garden salad, one per table.
- Cooking utensils.
- Other ingredients (Multiunit restaurant management, 2014).
The quantity of above vegetables, bows of garden salad, oil and other ingredients shall all be dependent on the quantum of roast beef, chicken Florentine and frittata. The volume will increase with increase in quantity of roast beef, chicken Florentine and frittata. Opposite wil be the case in case decrease in the quantity of menu. Thus, the purchase of above vegetables and other items shall be made as per the requirements to prepare 110 serves of roast beef, 75 chicken Florentine and 30 portions of frittata.
- The number of guests and customers expected to have breakfast, lunch and dinner in the kitchen.
- The quality of menu.
- The quality of food supplies.
- The price of food supplies.
- Availability of food supplies (Renaud, 2018).
Vegetables shall be ordered regularly from local market to ensure fresh vegetables are cooked every day. Thus, for vegetables generally orders shall be placed on everyday basis. Daily ordering system shall be used.
Meat shall also be purchased regularly if possible as per the requirements of the kitchen. However, in case availability of meat is an issue then meat can be acquired at large quantity in each alternative day and refrigerate immediately. Thus, regular orders are preferred but in case it is not possible then meats shall be purchased on alternative days and refrigerate immediately.
Non-perishable items shall be purchased and ordered on weekly or monthly basis as suitable for the kitchen. However, there should not be any compromise with the quality of foods (Yu et al., 2016).
Keeping a close eye on the demand for hot items will be extremely helpful in ensuring stocks are not over ordered. Arrangement with food suppliers to take excessive stock at the end of each day shall be an effective idea to ensure there is no loss of stock as well as loss in revenue due to stock out (Zrymiak, 2015).
Roast pumpkin portion (110 x 50) /1000
Frittata (30 x 3)
Salad bowl (20 x30)
Number of cucumber (690 /40)
Note: Assuming that 30 bowls of salad will be made.
Firstly, all necessary items required to cook the menu shall be available, i.e. from pumpkin, cucumber and frittata. Along with that oil and other ingredients shall be there to prepare the food items correctly. Proper chef shall be given responsibility to prepare the menu to ensure that everything is ready on time.
- At the acquisition stage of food supplies including vegetable and meats.
- At the time of cooking and
- At the time of serving.
In case the number of pre-cooked roasted beef is less than required for the customers at present then immediately the process must began to cook the necessary roasted beef to ensure that all the guests are served as per their orders. It is important to note here that with 70 pre-cooked roasted beef the kitchen does have uncooked beef in the refrigerator. Thus, the chef shall be asked to use the uncooked beef from refrigerator to cook roasted beef as required to serve the guest at present even if the beef in the refrigerator is for tomorrow. Because the beefs can be acquired in the morning tomorrow to prepare the required roasted beef for the guests (Aguilera, 2018).
Following steps can be taken:
- Prepare the kitchen to cook roasted beef immediately.
- Use of uncooked beef to prepare roasted beef.
- Serve the roasted beef to the guests.
- Purchase of necessary beef from the market as per the requirements of tomorrow.
Firstly, regular brief meeting shall be held at the beginning of the day while the kitchen is opened to communicate the duties and responsibilities of the kitchen staffs properly. At the close of each day the staffs and members shall be briefed about their performance and how they can be better in discharging their responsibilities.
Clear and concise communication to each kitchen staff including chefs will be helpful in communicating the ideas properly.
The three quality check are as following for chicken:
- The chicken has been correctly washed before cocking.
- Chickens are fresh.
- Whether chicken has been correctly boiled and is not half cooked.
The three quality check are as following for beef:
- Beef is properly washed before putting in the oven.
- Beef cooked is fresh.
- Beef is not half cooked.
The three quality check are as following for Frittata:
- Eggs are either fresh or stored correctly in refrigerator.
- No rotten eggs have been used to prepare frittata.
- All ingredients have been used properly.
- The plates are absolutely neat and clean.
- The cooked items presented in the plate is neither too hot nor cold.
- Other items essential with the food items have also been presented and tabled.
- The Irish lamb is in perfect condition to eat.
- The temperature of the refrigerator is adjusted as per the requirements to store the lamb.
- The lamb after reheating is in perfect condition to eat.
The kitchen stuffs must follow the following instructions:
- Along with carrots and peas beans is essential to Irish lamb stew.
- Use beans in the Irish lamb stew.
- Use beans after properly washing the same.
- The lamb stew firstly shall be put into a neat and clean bowl.
- The bowl shall be refrigerated with appropriate temperature to ensure that the texture of lamb stew does not changes.
- In the next day it shall be reheated and presented to the guest after tasting its quality.
- The non-perishable items shall only be stored.
- Perishable and non-perishable items shall be stored separately.
- The expiry date of non-perishable items must be checked and ensured that all non-perishable items are safe to be used in cooking.
Aguilera, J. (2018). Relating Food Engineering to Cooking and Gastronomy. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 17(4), pp.1021-1039.
Jeong, B. (2015). Cooking processes and occupational accidents in commercial restaurant kitchens. Safety Science, 80, pp.87-93.
Multiunit restaurant management. (2014). The Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 39(3), pp.21-21.
Renaud, K. (2018). Cooking up security awareness & training. Network Security, 2018(5), p.20.
Yu, T., Morton, J., Clerens, S. and Dyer, J. (2016). Cooking-Induced Protein Modifications in Meat. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 16(1), pp.141-159.
Zrymiak, D. (2015). Cook's Illustrated: The Science of Good Cooking. Quality Management Journal, 22(3), pp.47-48.