This assignment consists of two parts. The questions in first part are based on editing images using GIMP. In the second part of the assignment, students should develop a collage and write a report to demonstrate their understanding and steps involved in carrying out the image editing tasks using GIMP.
Q1. Consider a group photo of you and your friends. Scale the image to 600 × 400 pixels. It is recommended that you use your own photo instead of downloading other photos from internet. In the group photo that you have imported, bring to life yourself and fade all the others. This means that your friends in the group photograph turn to grayscale and radial blur applied (Hint: Use layer mask technique as taught in various lab session).
Q2. Use the same photograph as used in question 1 and neatly cut your photo (cut out from shoulder and above). Save this picture as <yourname>.png. Make sure that the image is NOT distorted.
Q3. Download the image from the assignment folder, scale the image to 600 × 400 pixels, and change the colour of text to blue in that image.
This part requires you to develop a collage using several digital images (5 minimum), which will be sourced by you including your own photo of the size 150 * 150 pixels.
- A group photo of you and your friends
- Part of “Australian Flora and Fauna” (e.g. a Koala)
- A flower
- A bird
- In addition, your own image (created in Part 1 Q2). Write your student ID just below your picture– refer to the sample provided (Assignment1_Collage_Sample.png)
The collage must contain the following features:
- Size: 600 * 400 pixel (width * height)
- Your transparent image with your ID number at top of the collage (see the sample).
- Feathered images that form the part of collage (avoid sharp corners)
- Properly renamed layers (.xcf will contain all the layers) (e.g. “the sunflower”)
- You need to submit your collage in two forms – as a .xcf and .png file.
GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is one of the cross-platform images editors with the help of which I have created the above collage by using layer mask option. Some of the mentioned steps are followed to create the collage are mentioned below:
- Firstly, I have created a layer with the group photo of 600 × 400 pixels and blurred the image.
- Then in second step, I have created one more layer and import own photo in gray scale and set it above the shoulder of my photo in group picture.
- In third step, I have imported different other images of flower, bird, Flora and Fauna and created a collage in a new layer.
- Then, in last step, I have also created one more layer where, I have inserted full name and Student ID.older.