The incident investigation should deal with the chemical accident presented below. The case study should include the following components:
- A brief introduction of the scene and the accident,
- Safety and health impacts of the accident,
- A statement on the legal aspects of the incident,
- An analysis of the key points from a project management perspective about the incident and accident, and
- A summary of the article's conclusions and your own opinions.
The Bhopal Incident:
On 2 December1984, a pesticide factory owned by an American multinational, the Union Carbide Corporation, leaked a large amount of poisonous gas into the air surrounding a small and impoverished town called Bhopal, India. The immediate death toll has been estimated to be around 7,000 people, and the death toll from long-term health problems now stands at 25,000 and a further 25,000 people in the slums around the factory continue to be poisoned by the chemicals that have been left behind.
Conduct a case study on this disaster identifying safety management, safety audits, accident investigation, and industrial hygiene issues.