- The online emotional intelligence test helped me identify my emotional quotient (EQ). From the test I have found out that I have to some extent above average EQ and there is a lot of room to grow. I am very sensitive to the emotional climate of the people who are around me, like my friends, peers, family and clients too, at the time of pressure. I am very much aware of all the effect that my behavior and conduct has one other people. Even if I am adept at fine tuning into the needs of others, I have to always make sure to remember my own. I have to be always communicating honestly regarding my difficult needs and emotions. This aspect is one of the most important in emotional intelligence - the ability of skillfully airing my grievances. In such situations what I need to consider are as follows:
- The situations that majority of the time create pressure and stress for me
- The way I would be handling these situations
- Which of the negative thoughts go around and around in my mind regularly?
- Are these the real pictures of reality?
- At an emotionally triggered moment, which are some of the less effective default attitudes?
I believe that if I can learn being more aware at the times when emotions drive behavior and at the same time stay calm in high pressure moments, I would be able to see a huge increase in my emotional intelligence level, which would ultimately direct to an increased performance level and more helpful relationships, both at work and at home.
- The first instance where I felt an emotional stress was on one Friday evening. I was wrapping up my work at office before I was about to leave town for my friend’s wedding. I suddenly received an email from my boss regarding an assignment that was due on Monday morning. Naturally my first thought was why I was not given more time. After my initial shock and anger, I tried composing myself and framed a request for a later deadline, setting my issues and what benefits it could most possibly have over the assignment. I was able to convince my boss and extended the deadline.
In another instance, I was publicly berated by colleague in the hallway of my office for stealing his client. I was caught off guard, felt embarrassed and wanted to defend myself. In midst of the heated discussion I tried and paid attention to what he was saying and told him to take a break and then I temporarily moved away from the situation. I went back to my cubicle and decompressed. I tried relaxing, calming down and considering ways of re-approaching the situation in an anger free manner. I later caught up with him and continued the discussion in a more civil manner.
In the third instance, I was just chosen for running the company’s annual publicity event with diva personalities and many moving parts, which are famous for causing onsite breakdowns amongst the organizers. I prepared for any likely situation in advance. I assessed why the event possibly is inclined toward causing people to break down, then took care of the aspects that I can control and planning the way in which I would be coping with situation I cannot.
- One of my emotional trigger is when someone asks me to do something that I do not want to do. I react angrily and even blame the situation for my reaction. Another of my emotional trigger is lacking the confidence or assertiveness that is required for saying “no”. I have understood that I need to deal with these emotional triggers in a different approach. I need to observe my feelings and emotions for finding the precise emotional triggers that are leading to such undesired attitude. It is important that I treat the cause instead of the symptom. Identifying the actual trigger would save a lot of time and effort in the long term. Taking help from noting situations where I behave in an undesired manner could help me see a pattern, which would in turn help me recognize the root cause of the issue. The most important thing is accepting that having emotional triggers is common for all. We are all humans and we are all fallible. I have decided on journaling to capture my stream of consciousness. I cannot give myself the excuse that it is difficult to change. Viewing my alternative strategies as a form of new adventure and remembering that whatever alternative behaviors I would be choosing would be benefitting me in several areas of life.
- Emotions are a part of everyday life of every individual existence, affecting the state-of-mind, health, performance and energy. There is felt a need of distinguishing between moods and emotions. Emotions are actually a response to any specific events, however, moods are completely long term emotions that people face, like optimism, pessimism, resentment, melancholy and anxiety. With the acquiring of emotional management skills and techniques I can more easily produce productive and positive results in all the aspects of my life. In accordance with the latest research management and many employees wish not want their co-workers to be expressing any form of strong emotion – positive or negative. The only proper way of managing workplace emotions was for the employees in hiding or masking their emotions. Positive emotions are required to be expressed, but in moderation, in accordance with the people surveyed. Emotion management at the workplace is not something that is generally taught there only. Majority of the organizations have conventionally concentrated on teaching rational and logical thinking and have ignored emotional learning in their model programs. The model behaviors that can be followed at the workplace are honesty, integrity, trustworthiness, fairness, dependability, consistency, organization, approachability, stability, confidence, compassion, positive attitude, strength, pragmatism and following of rules.
- My emotional intelligence can be improved with the help of the following strategies:
- Paying more attention to my emotions regularly – I need to be self-aware and more cognizant about the emotions that I am experiencing regularly. Over time I am confident of discovering key distinctions that would be helpful for me becoming sharper and further developing my emotional wheelhouse.
- Improving my non-verbal communication and becoming more sensitive of that for others would be helpful as body language is one of the most important element of the way we communicate. It would help in more properly shaping my communication so that it would be reflecting my intentions without any kind of confusion.
- The concept of empathy would be most of the time confused with regards to empathy. Deeper connection can be established with anyone being considerate about the way I would be engaging them, with the help of emotional dexterity.
- It would be easy being uninhibited in my behavior, especially when it would be becoming a habit, a hugely different proposition for intentionally regulating it. Self-regulation is important in case of increasing my EQ. I have to increase my ability of effectively managing my own negative emotions to make sure they are not overwhelming me and affecting my judgement. To manage the stress levels in life I need to handle situations in an assertive manner and keep my cool. There is also the need of setting my boundaries properly so that people would know where I stand. I have to exercise my right to disagree, set my priorities and protect myself from harm and duress.
As the new general operations manager, the best response to the store manager’s conduct would be having a private meeting with the store manager. While having the meeting I would make her conscious of the degrading condition in the company because of her discourteous and adverse conduct in the direction of the other managers. For her to model a positive leadership approach, I would be asking her to trail motivational leadership style with all the managers. With the help for this approach and behaviour, participative leadership practice would be put in place and would prove to be extremely supportive because with this kind of leaderships the managers would be able to offer their positive and constructive standpoints for the increment in sales of the business.
Emotional intelligence is a form of behavioral attribute that is executed by any individual for the demonstration of personal emotions for others and comprehension of other people’s emotions by means of having differentiation of feelings and behavior. The principle of emotion intelligence that was not displayed by the store manager in this scenario was that she displayed very meager emotional understanding and consciousness regarding the emotional state of the other managers and the lower level sales people in the organization. The second principle of emotional intelligence that was not demonstrated by her was relationship based leadership behavior. She failed to contain any kind of behavioral features in her leadership approach that could have assisted her in maintaining a god relationship with her fellow associates. In this way, she failed executing any form of emotional intelligence related elements in her conduct as a store manager.
In this given case scenario, the store manager could have and must have acted and communicated with her managers and staff in a different manner that she did. She could have acted in a way that would have helped address the issue of sales decline, which was a concern for the whole organization and resolving the problems of the whole organization while working in a team. She must be acting in a way that would help her motivate all the department managers into improving tehri efforts. She must propose a provision for incentives for the increment and achievement of sales targets. By means of provision of proportionate incentives the managers would have received an option of gaining motivation for the increment in their efforts. In other manner, she must have followed the way of effective communication. She must have followed the two-way communication procedure at the time of meetings with her staff people. Inside the two-way communication procedure, she must have provided all the other staff members with the option of sharing their valued opinions with her in the context of new policies for boosting sales of the business.
The morale of the store is very good and remarkable as it contains a huge team of department managers and other good sales staff. The store has been able to maintain a proper staff capacity for long time and it has been continuing upholding good association with staff people. The behavior of the store manager in the given scenario was something that did not counterpart with morale of the store. There exists no clear association between store manager’s attitude and store optimism. The behavior of the store manager could have come out into a deteriorated performance of the store as majority of the managers were thinking about leaving the company. The remaining were feeling hassled and loaded for performing out of the way. This would have been able to create a harmful work environment and therefore ensued into degrading sales performance of the store.
Inside a characteristic setting, there is a requirement of effective coordination and collaboration among teams with the objective that pined for level of shows can be refined. In such way, by virtue of particularly diversified workforce, there can be some possible misinterpretations of verbalizations or lead in view of the unmistakable social orders and qualities:
- As a result of the partition in the languages, people can confuse the message as disengaged social orders, terms and movements are having differing significance, which may make a couple of misinterpretations. Inferable from this an opening in correspondence may make. For example, a non-neighborhood English speaker agent can't have the ability to grasp and execute the summons of his nearby English speaker boss in English language.
- Besides, disarray of direct can make a negative image of the agent among various specialists. For example, if a specialist demonstrates direct and less garrulous and cordial individual lead at workplace, he routinely is measured as a haughty and unpleased character at the workplace by his accomplices.
The case is imitating the case of the mistake of the person's direct at the workplace because of her lifestyle contrasts. In the case, another person from the team does not take any contribution in the team bonding works out. As per the laborer who went with the subject, the new illustrative is extremely vainglorious and showing uncivil lead to another team part. Regardless, this isn't at all real. The lead of the new illustrative can be an eventual outcome of her isolated establishment and culture. This new illustrative is from different social orders and spiritual establishment. Also, she is similarly extremely scrutinizing individual and direct by nature. Her lifestyle and establishment does not empower her to share in the After Hrs social event and usage of alcohol in the get-together, which can be a conceivable clarification behind her nonappearance of help in such kind of get-togethers.
The easiest way to deal with upgrade consideration regarding the social effects of lead is to watch oneself accurately. Right when run up against with practices or perspectives that have all the earmarks of being pariah or aggravating, attempt to listen intentionally for prompts that point to concealed doubts and qualities that may shape a canny framework for overseeing others. An appalling reaction to a more authoritarian approach to manage management style may be a product of more significant assumptions and qualities I hold related to societal position or the estimation of titles and power. Meanwhile, it's basic to moreover watch others. This has a tendency to extend care of the assumptions and qualities that shapes one's own specific considerations with respect to what is customary and normal and that effect lead and decision-making. With wary impression of the social illustrations that shape direct in both oneself and other individuals, one can make sense of how to see things more easily from the perspective of others and respond to hones that seem, by all accounts, to be changed or despite bothering in a tranquil and wise way.
In spite of the way that we do hear what the other individual is expressing, we don't generally tune in. This is especially sincere in working environments where competition turns out to be potentially the most essential factor as well. To swear off making this blunder, constantly give the other individual my collective respect for understand their point. Accordingly, one will have the ability to keep up a vital separation from any mistakes, show the individual I am conversing with that I am thinking about them vital, and developing respect among us. People look at situations particularly and they interpret words contrastingly as well. Right when there are a couple of individuals participating in a disquieting, forceful condition, this issue is irritated. This is the reason it's basic to keep an open viewpoint and see that refinements in setting and perception are trademark. What I may interpret as common, people of different social orders ought to genuinely think about odd or even threatening. This is an uncommonly fundamental issue in a multicultural circumstance. I can address this by asking for assertion or appraisals. This urges people to open up to their stresses and would unavoidably provoke less misguided judgments.
In this condition, the researcher is doing combating with the sentiments of his or her inward character, concerning an agent. The researcher is trying to set one up agent by executing a training session in which the teamwork capacity will be extended. In this method, one of the agents is making issue by not setting off to the training sessions intentionally. This lead of the agent is making the manager to a great degree angry. Regardless, the labourer does not do any work wrong that the manager can rebuff him for his issues. This makes an extraordinarily immense conflict in the mind of the Manager as for this particular specialist whom he or she can't control or regulate as showed by his or her leeway. The manager should not express this shock before the agent yet rather he or she needs to control the shock. The manager has understood that he or she can't manage the agent with giving stricter rules and headings rather they should be managed with their own specific thoughts. In this way, the manager should take in the strategies to discuss more with the delegates to grasp their estimations and sentiments that will engage him or her to develop the team more powerful.
The manager can improve the emotional and intelligence control by training the laborers before long however much as could be normal. In case the manager can take in the personalities of every illustrative then he or she can relate and use them in the workplace to decrease the issue regarding specialist issues. In this particular circumstance, the manager should get some answers concerning the three segments to relate with the laborers. The three essential segments are making relationship with the specialists, manufacturing a fitting leadership style to lead the agents honestly and developing a nice correspondence skill with the delegates. These learning can help the manager to grasp the labourer’s a piece of instinct as for the decisions of the management for a particular event. For instance, in this case the manager has coordinated some training sessions to upgrade the teamwork limit of the delegates as he or she has seen two or three issues concerning the team people while working with each other. In any case, it was executed for the change of the delegates still on labourer among them went poorly the training session intentionally. This has driven the manager to twist up doubtlessly angry on the labourer yet in the meantime the manager can't express his or her shock on the delegate.
The manager here extended the commonality with the agents to fabricate the limits of the specialists to work effectively in a team. As a general operations manager, the researcher needs to improve the emotional intelligence to diminish the shock and bothering conditions, required to meet the target execution level by any strategies and for this, the learning of the laborers will engage him or her to showing admirably in his or her position. The learning also will help the laborers to manage their emotions and appreciate the decisions of the management that they can cooperate with them.
In this case, the association has completed some new methodologies and decision-makings that will extend the salary of the Wollongong Store, which has defied low wage in the zone of Timber and Plumbing and Electrical workplaces. Subsequently, the management of the association has taken the decision of lessening the cost eating up projects, for instance, trainings, which were directed to assemble the data of the delegates et cetera and helped the projects that development the salary of the store. This sudden change has made the delegates emotionally affected, as they were not used to work in such load.
The management can execute the alterations in a specialist pleasant manner by then; the technique won't impact the delegates unfavourably. The management was not wrong in their decision-making method and they need to diminish the projects those are eating up costs in the time as the association was encountering little wage. In any case, the decision-making was appropriate to the situation yet the method of decision-making was wrong.
In the case, the management could have taken the decisions of decreasing the costs by conceding the training sessions or by executing new plans and programs for growing the wage. Thus, the strategy of decision-making can be more sensible for the delegates to recognize and to work with the new method rather the system has ended up being to a great degree unwanted for them to execute.
The management of the Wollongong Store needs to keep up the laws and authorizations with respect to the prosperity and security of the agents. The new work chooses that the association was executing were must take after the fundamentals and control of the Australian government. As demonstrated by the laws of Health and Safety Act, every association needs to manage the specialists' prosperity and security. In this case, as the association was out of the blue giving a high weight on the specialists, which was making an enormous weight on the prosperity and thusly their security was exorbitantly impacting.
Coaching is generally crucial with the true objective of enhancing the regions that are found feeble as to the agents working inside the affiliation. In the given case study, it is explored that Pat's execution has not been up to the standard regardless of he has been an incredible performer in the affiliation. This has been a purpose behind stress to the managers, and in this manner, a legitimate coaching is seen as essential. In such manner, it is dismembered that there would guide basic to Pat with a particular true objective to recognize his stresses so upgraded level of execution could have been master on his part, and starting there, better and enhanced various leveled execution could have ended up being possible. This prescribes the coaching is going on fundamentally in light of the fact that the issue domains looked by Pat can be perceived and they can be altered emphatically with a view to finishing overhauled level of definitive execution.
A star performer is defying a reduction in the execution levels over the affiliation and this is an explanation behind veritable concern. Accordingly, the Pat is required to report such execution rot for which he is required to fill a questionnaire that incorporates request on various zones of disillusionment or subjective request on issues looked by him. This would give an idea of Pat's stress and appropriate strategies could have been viewed as gone for keeping an eye on affiliation's execution. The assumptions held by Pat including the request on work satisfaction levels are the genuine ones that would be consolidated into the questionnaire.
Inside a couple of my goals I have developed my presentation and writing limits and bolstered my correspondence and networking capacities. Searching for feedback from partners as for talks and articles was moreover a test however to an awesome degree satisfying. Valuable feedback has helped me to shape my presentation framework and have the assurance to present to a grouping of social occasions of individuals. My key focus has been developing my project management aptitudes. I went to a project management for amateur's course which, joined with some establishment examining, gave me a key handle of the theory.
Barbuto Jr, J.E., Gottfredson, R.K. and Searle, T.P., 2014. An examination of emotional intelligence as an antecedent of servant leadership. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 21(3), pp.315-323.
Batool, B.F., 2013. Emotional intelligence and effective leadership. Journal of Business Studies Quarterly, 4(3), p.84.
Carson, K.D., Carson, P.P. and Birkenmeier, B.J., 2016. Measuring emotional intelligence: Development and validation of an instrument. Journal of Behavioral and applied Management, 2(1).
Ciarrochi, J. and Mayer, J.D., 2013. Applying emotional intelligence: A practitioner's guide. Psychology Press.
Collins, C.S. and Cooper, J.E., 2014. Emotional intelligence and the qualitative researcher. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 13(1), pp.88-103.
Dong, Y., Seo, M.G. and Bartol, K.M., 2014. No pain, no gain: An affect-based model of developmental job experience and the buffering effects of emotional intelligence. Academy of Management Journal, 57(4), pp.1056-1077.
Druskat, V.U., Mount, G. and Sala, F., 2013. Linking emotional intelligence and performance at work: Current research evidence with individuals and groups. Psychology Press.
Fullan, M., 2014. Leading in a culture of change personal action guide and workbook. John Wiley & Sons.