Activity 1: Recognise and appreciate the emotional strengths and weaknesses of others
In this task you are required to respond to emotional states of co-workers, identify the varying cultural expressions of emotions and demonstrate flexibility and adaptability in dealing with others and take into account the emotions of others when making decisions.
1) Stress is an emotional state that appears in most workplaces. To be a leader that has emotional intelligence you must be attuned to the emotional cues of employees.
2) Emotions may be displayed differently by different cultures. Discuss how you would communicate with cultural groups that show emotion in a different way to you. Use three different cultural groups and their different displays.to show how that might affect the way you would communicate.
3) Describe three ways as leader you would support team members who have shown signs that they are suffering from stress behaviours.
4) There are six distinct leadership styles. List 3 of the six styles and write a paragraph about each explaining the advantages of each.
5) You have been asked to consult with your team on the type of bonuses that should be paid to the team. (Some suggestions may be in cash or leave entitlements). What decision making style do you think would be most appropriate in this circumstances? Consideration should be shown for the emotional feelings of team members. Explain why you have chosen the decision making style.
6) Promotions become available within your team and your manager has asked you as team leader to recommend one of your team to receive a promotion. What decision making style would be appropriate on this occasion.
Activity 2: Promote the development of emotional intelligence in othersInstructions to the students
In this assessment you will be required to demonstrate your knowledge and skills in providing opportunities for others to express their thoughts and assist other to understand the effect of their behavior on others. To encourage self-management of emotions and encourage others to develop their own emotional intelligence.
1) As team leader of a department a member of the team comes to you to inform you that they feel that one of the team is being belittled by another team member and is causing the employee to have negative emotions and not complete their work to the usual standard.
What opportunities could your provide to the employee, who is being belittled, so that they can communicate their feelings to you?
Explain the importance of confidentiality when an employee shares their feelings and thoughts with you.
What listening skills should you use at the meeting with an employee to determine what exactly are the employees issues. (Guide a paragraph on each point)
2) List three ways leaders can encourage workers to be aware and understand that their behaviour and emotions affect others in the workplace.
3) How can an organization encourage the self- management of emotions in others? Give three examples of how workplace can assist.
4) There are many different ways you can self-manage your emotions. A colleague at your workplace has insulted you and you are now angry.
5) Emotionally effective leaders are able to inspire their employees. Discuss the skills a leader can use to inspire positive relationships. Include four skills and why these assist a leader to motivate their team.