The Australian government’s central environmental legislation is the Environment Protection and Biodiversity conservation Act of 1991. It is aimed towards the protection of wildlife and natural environment of the country.
- a) The appropriate process for policy development is to consider the impact of the various factors that lead to certain negative circumstances and develop subsequent plans to address the identified factors.
- b) The general people that would be affected by the policies need to be consulted. Moreover, the various levels of management need to be consulted before policy formation.
- c) The strategies that can be used are the evaluation of certain goals that can be set as the objectives of the policies.
- In the first barrier the need for the formation of policies need to be effectively communicated with the employees that are reluctant to accept the policies. The positive effects of the policies should be focused.
- In the second barrier the policy need to be clearly communicated and if necessary a large diagram that can help to ease the understanding of the policies can be installed at the workplace.
- In this case policies that are the most economically feasible should be formed. Moreover, meetings need to be held in order to understand the areas in which policies might be the most required
- a) The company can find out the comparative monthly costs that they are able to save due to the utilization of the energy saving bulbs and publish the same for all the employees to view.
- b) Management- will have to ensure that all the employees develop an idea for sustainable workplace development
Employees- employees have to ensure that they abide by the values of environmental sustenance and use office electricity wisely and ethically
- c) Total usage- 2383. The company has been able to save a total of 852 kilowatts in the three quarters.
- d) The company can display this achievement in billboard or wherever the company advertises so that the people can know the initiative.
- a) The piece of legislation is the Australian environmental protection act 2017. The regulation is the protection of environment at workplaces. The code of practice is the sustainable usage of resources.
- b) The information can be used as an effective guideline across all the major organizational environment for the implementation of effective environmental plans.
- c) The waste management policy states that all waste need to be recycled effectively. The problem that arises is in regards to the implementation of the policy
- d) The general procedure requires an official permission mail to be addressed to the management and getting approval only after an official meeting.
- e) The stakeholders are, 1. Employees, 2. Managers, 3. CEO, 4. Waste management teams, 5. Local administration
Three approaches that can be applied are:
- Monthly hygiene chart
- Employee hygiene data publishing
- Workplace environmental evaluation plans
Paper- this can be measured by the number of papers used
Electricity- measurable through the monthly bills
Transportation- usage of vehicles and emission control systems
Wastage- monthly wastage chart
The approach that can be taken is group session with projectors being used to make employees understand the value of office environments.I will motivate the employees and fix guidelines for each of the employee depending on their individual wastage.
- f) The monitoring techniques will be implemented though maintenance of data charts for waste management.
- g) Five pieces of information will be-
- Individual wastage data
- Team wastage data
- Individual hygiene
- Team hygiene
- Individual team member behavior data
Three strategies that can be implemented for the project are-
- Implementation of penalty systems in team for non-compliance
- Implementation of reward system for hygiene maintenance
- Publishing of monthly charts for the achievements of environmental goals
Energy requirements are most in the coffee machines, printers, lighting and Air conditioning. It is least in the microwave in the pantry. Sometimes some of the lights are left on overnight. There is no existing policy for minimizing wastage. There is an existing policy of using less paperwork.
The levels of water usage are high. Water is used in the washroom. Staffs do not use water sustainably.
The waste is considered to be the waste paper, the food leftovers, the paper plates and cups. More wastage is caused by the printing department as most paper waste is generated from these areas.
The chemical substances are glues, computer cleaning fluids, printer ink, etc.
It can be said that the overall the office is not environment friendly as a lot of wastage and irresponsible usage of resources occurs starting from the food items to normal things like paper and water supply. The office can install energy saving bulbs and devices that can be automatically disabled after long periods of non-usage. The office needs a cleaner waste disposal policy.
- One area of sustainable practice gap
One gap is the irresponsible usage of water. This can be improved by creating water wastage charts and regular monitoring of the washroom or pantry areas of the workplace.