-It is an important tool in prioritizing activities, planning and scheduling activities within the specified time (Griffin 2013).Time management will help me in completing the task within allotted time and will prevent procrastination. Time management will help in increasing my efficiency; increase my ability to accomplish my career goals. Time management is a skill which will enable me to maintain a balance between my professional and personal life and help me to reduce stress by completing my tasks within allocated time (Rapp et al 2013).1) I will maintain a time log. I will keep a track of how I spend my time and will record what I activities I have done at an interval of 30 minutes for a duration of 8 weeks and this time log will help me in evaluating the financial results.
I can maintain a time management matrix with areas like urgent, not urgent, important and not important.
Personal planning tools can be used for time management. In order to achieve this electronic planners, calendars or digital tools can be used for time management
Time management matrix, review every week
Digital tools , reviewed every day for 10 weeks
1)From the time log, I will be able to know the time of the day when my productivity level is maximum, I can gain time management skill by analyzing the task which consumes most of my time and I can schedule most important tasks when I am most productive
2) I can know that I have learnt time management if I complete activities that are both important and urgent on time. Also activities that are not important but urgent should be completed
3) I can know that I have learnt time management if I review my planning tool every day and I need to note my prior tasks in my tool. I can also learn time management by delegating tasks
I can prove that I have learned time management by completing all tasks within deadline during the 8 weeks and I will present my time log and digital planning tools in front of lecturer in week 9 and 10
This skill will help me to reach a consensus and agreement and resolve differences in opinion(Hesse et al 2015).Negotiation is important while representing my workplace to achieve best results for my organization(Cullen et al 2013) I will first understand the stages of negotiation process-Preparation, discussion, Clarification of goals, Negotiation towards a win-win outcome, Agreement, Implementation of a course of action (Lin, Kraus and Mazliah 2014).
2) I can learn the skill of negotiation by learning mediating skills, respect for other’s opinion is mandatory while negotiating.
3) I can learn these skills of negotiation by increasing my knowledge on the subject of negotiation.
4) Certain skills like verbal communication, rapport building, listening skills and ability to solve problems should be improved to build negotiation skills
Week 9- Week 10-Implementation process I can know that I have learnt negotiation skills when I achieve the best alternative to a negotiated agreement with another team on a particular project. This means my ability to achieve a consensus can determine development of my negotiation skills.
2) Also, my ability to achieve a win-win situation by keeping the profits of both parties involved will help me achieve my negotiation skills.
3) I can know that I have learned negotiation skill by reviewing my interpersonal skills like communication skills and listening skills.
5) I can achieve my negotiation skills by practicing it particularly by negotiation on an issue with another team of class. I can prove I have learnt negotiation skills by presenting my negotiation agreement in front of lecturer in week auditing.
Issues Faced While Completing This Contract
1) While practicing Time management skills, my focus was on completing important tasks. In order to do so I lost focus on urgent tasks which were not important. I also applied the skill of time management more on my professional life and failed to achieve the concepts on my personal life.
2) I found it a bit difficult to maintain my time log where all my activities needed to be recorded after a regular interval everyday
3) I found it challenging to achieve best possible negotiating agreement. Often while negotiating with other team, there were differences in opinion which was tough to be resolved and mediating solution or consensus were extended beyond time period.
4) It was challenging to achieve a Win-Win situation.
What Will I Do Better Next Time
1) Next time I will prioritize my tasks better by focusing on urgent tasks even though they are not so important. I will manage my digital planning tools for time management in a more efficient and effective way by updating it regularly. I will keep a back up of all my planning records and keep my planning tools handy so that I can access them whenever required.
2) I will maintain a time log but I will monitor my activities within an interval of two hours. It was tedious to maintain records after every half an hour.
3) I will improve my negotiation skills by improving my listening skills, I will try to increase my knowledge on the issue of the negotiated topic by doing a homework. I will gather as much information I can on the negotiated topic so that I can well present my ideas in front of the other team. I will respect other team’s opinion to achieve a Win-Win situation within timeframe.
Cullen, M.J., Muros, J.P., Rasch, R. and Sackett, P.R., 2013. Individual differences in the effectiveness of error management training for developing negotiation skills. International Journal of Selection and accounting, 21(1), pp.1-21.
Griffin, R.W., 2013. Fundamentals of management. Cengage Learning.
Hesse, F., Care, E., Buder, J., Sassenberg, K. and Griffin, P., 2015. A framework for teachable collaborative problem solving skills. In Assessment and teaching of 21st century skills (pp. 37-56). Springer Netherlands.
Lin, R., Kraus, S. and Mazliah, Y., 2014. Training with automated agents improves people's behavior in negotiation and coordination tasks. Decision Support Systems, 60, pp.1-9.
Rapp, A.A., Bachrach, D.G. and Rapp, T.L., 2013. The influence of time management skill on the curvilinear relationship between organizational citizenship behavior and task performance. Journal of Applied Psychology, 98(4), p.668.