Development and testing of Heckscher-Ohlin trade models.
Exploring the impact of economic policy uncertainties.
Energy consumption and economic growth in New Zealand:
Government effectiveness and support for democracy.
Globalization and sovereignty the case of human rights in New Zealand In Sovereignty under Siege?
Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Sri Lanka. South Asia Economic Journal
Issues of Business Ethics in Domestic and International Businesses:
Ethical Issues for Sri Lanka
- Political Issues: The biggest political ethical issue for Sri Lanka is bribery. There have been cases where companies have emails which reveal that Sri Lanka President Sirisena and his advisor had demanded Political “donation” for international business etc(Ozturk & Gokmen, 2012).
- Legal Issues: A firm has to abide with the new rules of the country in which it wants to put its subsidiary in. The foreign company cannot secure its place in Sri Lanka for 50 years. Issues like bribery, breaking legal code of conduct could be some issues that might happen in such cases.
- Economic Issues: The economy of Sri Lanka is quite calm and generally has no restrictions when it comes to foreign investment. Yet the labor cost is too low there and the people are highly skilled. Ethical issues like labor harassment or overpowering the labor could be one of the major ethical issues(Ruwanpura, 2014).
- Cultural Issues: Culture of the country is has mixed heritage of Buddhism and British Colonial heritage. Hence, people are very calm minded there and do not except any rudeness. Issues related to moral obligations and code of ethics might occur in Sri Lanka.
Ethical Issues for New Zealand
- Political Issues: The ethical issues in New Zealand would be the same i.e. corruption and bribery as Sri Lanka for the Australian company. There were researches where the data revealed that corruption was really high in 2016 in New Zealand and that challenges the manufacturing sector on the whole but especially for international business(Nwaeke, 2014). There are some other political issues which can become the part of the company when it wants to do the business in New Zealand. Apart from bribery, there can be terrorism, corruption, threat to the stakeholders in terms of money etc. One more thing which is vital to take care for the new firm while establishing in New Zealand is organized crime. Many firms have to deal with this crime as sometimes the politicians as well as the firm stakeholders want themselves to indulge in the crime to make more money and good profits in the new share market. Out of multiple groups like these, mostly every group is motivated by the politicians to do such type of crimes. As it is the data displays that there is a lot of corruption in New Zealand. This is the most happening crimes of all in today’s world as both the firm as well as the political parties and other groups are at profitable side.
- Legal Issues: The legal ethics for New Zealand is linked with the political laws of the county. Rule of law performance is one legal factor which there is eight factors which are considered. They are considered under the law of index for the measurement of performance. One of the major factors out of eight is: absence of corruption. Hence, the legal ethics can be made safe for any international company is to not breach the political laws. Also, the county government changes every year and hence, changes the rules too. The new company will have to abide with the new rules ever year which can be difficult as well as there are more chance of breach in this case. There can be discrimination done in the gender, sex and age of a person when it comes to working in the firm which is establishing itself in New Zealand. The Australian culture is free and mostly does not discriminate within people but in New Zealand, people are more concerned about their education, their religion. This concern of religion totally contradicts the law of no discrimination which New Zealand’s legal system abides with. The Australian firm can become confused and this might lead the firm to the legal ethical breaches.
- Economic Issues: The economy of New Zealand always depends on the Gross domestic product and FDI. The export of the abundant products is done from New Zealand and the product with scarcity is imported every year. This involves taxes on products and deduction of subsidies. There can be ethical breaches related to paying the taxes.
- Cultural Issues: The culture of the county depends majorly on the education and language factors on the whole with some other factors like technology, religion etc. The manufacturing of the products depends on the residents of the country. The literacy rate of New Zealand is too high and use of technology is majorly done. The ethical issues which can occur in New Zealand could be related to the motivational factors and the foreign company investing in and hiring people who are from Australia. According to the country, not giving preference to people of New Zealand is unethical(Marco, 2016).
Marco, J., 2016. Business ethics: international analysis of codes of ethics and conduct. Revista Brasileira de Marketing, 16(1).
Nwaeke, L., 2014. Ethical Challenges in International Business Operations. Journal of Business and Retail Management Research, 8(2), p.105.
Ozturk, T. & Gokmen, A., 2012. Issues of Business Ethics in Domestic and International Businesses: A Critical Study. International Journal of Business Administration, 3(5).
Ruwanpura, K.N., 2014. Ethical Trading and Sri LankanLabour Practices in the Apparel Sector. [Online] Available at: https://www.ari.nus.edu.sg/wps/wps14_222.pdf [Accessed 12 October 2018].