The requirements for a Professional Portfolio are:
1) A discipline-specific cover letter (Please see sample at the end of this document)
a) The cover letter must relate to a specific discipline
b) The cover letter must be dated. It must be no longer than one page and the style and format must be professional.
c) The cover letter has personal details (first and last name; email address and phone number).
d) Correct grammar and spelling is used throughout the cover letter.
e) The cover letter must be original and not copied from another source (do not plagiarise)
2) A discipline-specific resume (Please see sample at the end of this document)
a) The resume must relate to a specific discipline
b) The resume must not exceed three pages and the style and format must be professional.
c) The resume has personal details (first and last name; email address and phone number)
d) Resume includes page numbers.
e) Correct grammar and spelling is used throughout the resume.
f) The resume is original and not copied from another source (this is called plagiarism)
3) A 30-60 second ‘personal promotion’ video clip which markets one key discipline-specific strength.1
a) Choose a strength which is valued in your discipline
b) Write a script and practice the script
c) Follow the instructions on Blackboard on how to make a gmail account and upload your video
clip to Youtube (instructions also provided at the end of this document).
d) Make sure your script fits into the 30-60 sec timeslot
4) A LinkedIn profile2
a) Begin by viewing a range of LinkedIn profiles on the web
b) Find out what profiles are impressive and use these as a model
c) You must complete all sections of the LinkedIn profile below.
i) Basic contact information and a professional headline
vi) Project: In the ‘Project’ option of LinkedIn, using the fields provided, describe one experience you have been involved in which showcases your employability and / or future work skills. Examples include: A project you completed at university either as an individual, with a partner or in a team; an event you were involved in describing the part you played and the skills you developed; an activity where you had a volunteer role; a project you
1 A list of strengths is available in Topic 9 on Canvas. This list is designed to stimulate ideas for which strength you wish to promote
2 LinkedIn has great resources to help students. The links to these are in Topic 9 on Canvas completed during part-time employment; or a description of any writing you do - for example for a blog, a newsletter, a newspaper, an advertising flyer etc.
Email: [email protected]
24th January 2019
Deacon Manufacturers Company
15/3 Charlotte Street
Dear HR Manager
Re: Company General Manager Placement
I write this letter to express my interest in the recently advertised management position in your manufacturing company’s website. I am a well-versed, and dedicated worker with the relevant skills in business administration and management attained through quality learning in recognized colleges and universities as well as field experience.
My previous placements have helped me in developing courage in decision-making and management of organizational staff members in different capacities. Some of the skills attained in the course of working include perfect communication skills with clients and company members and advanced market information through market research and analysis. These factors and others not mentioned positions me as the most competent candidate for the vacant position in your firm.
I can offer the roles of professional management as demonstrated in the placements of my previous areas of work. My service in Mission Classics Inn equipped me with skills of minimizing costs while maximizing outputs. Similarly, working at Cistern Technologies helped me to advance my marketing skills which are necessary for ensuring proper movement of produced goods to the market.
The primary reason for expressing my interest in this company is its reputation in producing and marketing of products. I intend to improve this performance to promote a better outcome. I have attached my resume as a source of advanced personal information.
I look forward to your consideration in interviewing and later placing me for the position.
2042 Alice Avenue, New South Wales, Newtown 2620
Mobile: 0125 746 735
Email: [email protected]
Customer oriented General Manager with three years' experience with a greater focus in minimizing downtime, increasing production, reducing production costs and maximizing overall efficiency. Adaptive to conditions and deadline-oriented with the capacity to execute and complete multiple projects in high-stress environments. Meticulous leader and strategic planner with extensive managerial acumen, offering management and vital planning skills.
2015 - 2017
University of Wollongong, Northfield Ave – Stand E. – Gwynneville, NSW
· Planning and Administration.
· Workplace Management and Organization.
· Business Management.
Achievement: Higher Distinction.
2012 - 2015
Federation University of Australia, Berwick Campus – Berwick, VIC
· Strategic Planning.
· Managerial decision-making.
· Value-addition Strategies.
· Customer Relations.
2010 - 2012
College of San Mateo Campus – San Mateo, CA
· Human Resource Management.
· Business Communication Skills.
Achievement: Diploma Distinction.
February 2017 - Current
General Manager and Co-Worker
Mission Classics Inn – New South Wales, Newtown
· Enhanced resource allocations while monitoring expenses.
· Leading all corporate communications to optimize information sharing initiatives.
· Tracking trends and suggesting enhancements that can both challenge and refine the company's product offerings.
· Increasing operational efficiency through leading staff development and business planning.
January 2015 – January 2017
Cistern Technologies – Brisbane, Queensland
· Proofread marketing documentation to check for spelling, grammar and syntax errors.
· Tracked and reported on marketing campaign responses.
· Coordinated resources to craft marketing plans for various projects including product launches and events.
· Communicated closely with all applicable parties within the company, including the art department, upper management, and the sales team.
2017 - Current Youth Coach
- Training the youths on life-skills and sports activities.
- Mobilizing young people on entrepreneurial activities and innovation through exploiting personal skills.
2013 – 2014 Facilitator
- Organized and facilitated seminars on business start-ups for small and medium entrepreneurs (SMEs)
- Held state youth seminars for talks against drug and substance abuse.
2013 Events Planner
- Planned the reception of weddings as per the directives by the couples.
- Determined the best and affordable dishes for occasions involving different classes of dignitaries.
Demonstrated Management Skills
- Client relationship and community harmonization
- Assembling the people and maintaining their attention through quality information as well as answering their questions professionally.
- Analyzing skills by identifying the issues affecting the young people and addressing them through the right and productive forum.
- Effective communication and demonstration skills
- Writing skills through the production of educative materials such as business-oriented publications.
- Conducting interviews with prospective workers in collaboration with the HR manager.
- Researching skills
- Providing quality market environment analysis to the marketing team for better delivery of products.
- Determining the best time to deliver a particular product and the methods to apply in attracting the consumers.
· Teamwork and collaboration
· Relationship building
· Customer service-oriented
· Recipes and menu planning
· Employee scheduling
· Project development
· Effective leadership
Business development opportunities
- Business plans and strategic planning activities
- Property development and management
The complete list of relevant referees is available upon request
YouTube Clip Details
One of my outstanding personal skills developed and attained through learning and experience is effective leadership. Leadership is a skill that plays a primary role in establishing positive performance and desired outcome in any form of organization (LaMarco, 2018, p. 1). An efficient leader comes up with different workable strategies and can harmonize the working status of his workers. Through this skill and in collaboration with the others, I intend to introduce new ideas and styles of manufacture and product development to enable the firm to be more productive. I will use my position in creating a conducive environment for every member of the company while also establishing positive relationships with our clients. Therefore, the company is bound to realize a massive development and positive results through collaborative use of professional skills and abilities (Gandz, 2005, p. 2).
LinkedIn Profile Details
The link to the account is https://www.linkedin.com/in/joseph-mayors-a8b98417b/.
Email: [email protected]
Gandz, J., 2005. The Leadership Role. Ivy Business Journal: Improving the Practice of Management, 1(1), pp. 1-3.
LaMarco, N., 2018. The Importance of Leadership in Business. Chron: Small Business, 1(1), p. 1