This project aims to create the large network for PTL Beverages. The PTL beverage is a New Zealand company for manufacturing the beverages and food products. This company has the two sites like Tauranga and Rotorua. More than 100 staff members are currently working on both sites. This company is divided into two groups like operations and corporate. The PTL beverages management was anticipating the large growth in production over the next five years. So, it would like to computerize the most of their function to ease the handling of the business routines. So, it needs to design and implement the company infrastructure to provide the effective performance. The current IT infrastructure of PTL beverages has 8 professionals and 80 windows standalone computers and 15 printers at both sites and those sites are having the internet connectivity. But, it does not provide the effective internet connection. So, the PTL beverages company is wishes to network all their computers, printers and creating the intranet. The creation of intranet needs to purchase the software and hardware and it is needs to envision. But, the company has the sufficient budget for this purpose. So, these issues are address and create the new network infrastructure for a company. These are will be analyzed and discussed in detail. The hardware and Cabling setup for proposed network Infrastructure will be discussed. The DHCP, active directory and DNS setup and design also will be analyzed and discussed in detail. Network security and resource sharing for proposed network infrastructure also will be discussed and analyzed in detail.
Cabling and Hardware Setup
To setup the PC by following the below steps (Hartpence, 2011),
- Click the PC
- Choose the Desktop to select the IP configuration.
In PC 0,
IP address - 192.168.1.10
Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
Default gateway - 192.168.1.1.
Here, we are using the RJ45 Connector and Ethernet Cable. It is shown below (Routing and switching essentials lab manual, 2014).
- The Ethernet cables are used to connect the devices like routers, switches and PCs.
- The RJ45 connector is a standard that used with CAT6 and CAT 5 cables. This cable is used to transmitting the information along their length and it provides the reliability and scalability of the network.
- It is standardized telecommunication network interface for connecting data and voice equipment.
DNS stands for Domain Name System
This is one of the important internet feature which is widely used for the purpose of converting alphabetic names into numeric IP addresses. DNS servers are the equivalent of a phone book. They maintain a one unique directory of domain names and translate those domain names into internet protocol addresses. This translation process is necessary because, even though domain name is easily understand as well as easy to remember, computer systems, access website based on the IP addresses.
DNS server work
DNS help to map domain name for an IP address. For example when we type a domain name www.example.com then client have to find the IP address of this website to know where it is located. All this process done using DNS servers. Due to fast growth of internet there are millions and billions of hostnames and IP addresses which are efficiently managed by DNS servers.
Steps of DNS server working :
- Using client operating system Windows or Apple ios type website name like google.com in your browser.
- Second step is the operating system needs to find IP address which will tell where the google.com is located on earth.
- For this operating system received query from browser.
- Eash operating system is associated with Internet service providers or certain DNS servers that are also called resolving name servers.
- From resolving name servers we can identify where the root server located but complete information where google.com is not known by resolving name servers.
- After that resolving name server will find the top level domain name server so as to find the location of google.com.
- Then this authoritative name server will give exact IP address of google.com. This IP address was send back to resolving name server where it caches the information and return the answer for an query asked by the browser i.e. where the google.com is located.
- As a result of whole these steps you can see google.com on your homepage Configure DNS server using windows:
- First step, Open DNS manager.
- According to necessity applicable server can be included in snap- in and then link them.
- On the action menu bar you have to click on configure DNS server.
- In DNS server wizard all the instructions are kept.
In windows 2012 the DNS server can be installed using server manager . Server manager can be opened by right clicking the manage button in the top right corner and then selecting add roles and features option (Nelson, 2017).