Discuss about the Converting E-R Models to Relational Models.
The database employment of Employee Project database is being shown in the report. MS Access RDBMS is being used in the assignment to develop the Employee Project database. All features of MS Access have been used in the assignment like queries, database reports etc.
Use of Database
File Systems are not applicable to handle large data. Very small data can be handled by the File System. Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) provide lots of features that help in managing the large data. In file system there is no option to create queries, reports etc. therefore Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) is used to overcome the limitations of old File Systems.
These are the features that are provided by the RDBMS-
- Database Queries
- Database Reports
- Query Analyser
- Database Backup and Recovery Techniques
- Access Controls
(CS Odessa Corp. 2016)
(Lucid Software Inc. 2015)
IT Controls are used to manage the Relational Database Management System. It helps in securing and handling the large data of any organization. IT Controls provides lots of security and integrity features to manage the database like below-
- Access Control is one of the best IT Control to secure the database. It helps in maintaining the authorization in the complete database and Relational Database Management System (RDBMS).
- Database Integrity resolves the problems related to data redundancy.
- Database backup and recovery techniques resolves the issues related to data loss etc.
- Validity Checks check the validity of entered data into the database.
- Forensic Controls helps in checking the data scientifically.
- Identification ensures that all the users are unique into the database.
Ethical, Privacy and Security Issues
Ethical issues are very important for the company’s information and company’s important issues that should not be shared outside. Following are the issues that are considered as ethical issues-
- Email checking of employees by administrators. It is not good but to secure the important details of company, it is mandatory.
- Do not allow the employees to contact outside during working hours.
- Apply key loggers to check the writing text of employees.
Security and Privacy Issues
There are lots of security and policy concerns in the companies. Therefore, there are lots of security techniques available in RDBMS like below-
- The company does not allow to sue copyright data for others.
- The company should apply firewall to restrict outsiders which are not able to trust.
- The company should authorise specific users for important data.
- The company should authenticate the users before accessing the database.
- The company should use antivirus software’s at all places.
- Encryption/Decryption techniques should be used before storing the important detail.
The above all techniques are very important for important information. All the above policies and features help in managing the large data very efficiently. (etutorials.org. 2018)
Lucid Software Inc. (2015). ER Diagram Symbols and Meaning. Retrieved from https://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/modeling_languages/data_flow_diagrams.html
etutorials.org. (2018). Chapter 12: SQL and RDBMS Security. Retrieved from https://etutorials.org/SQL/sql+bible/Part+V+Implementing+Security+Using+System+Catalogs/Chapter+12+SQL+and+RDBMS+Security/
CS Odessa Corp. (2016). Design elements – ERD (crow’s foot notation). Retrieved from https://www.conceptdraw.com/examples/crowfoot-notation
holowczak.com. (2016). Converting E-R Models to Relational Models. Retrieved from https://holowczak.com/converting-e-r-models-to-relational-models/