STL is a construction company that has 3 departments and employs 30 employees. To meet the requirements of the company, intranet with some specialized features will be structured and designed. ADDS will be designed to help the administrator properly manage the network. Roaming profiles will be created using the file server. A DHCP server for the specification of IP scope of both client and the server will be installed. A web server will be installed to help administrator and the users browse the web page.
Windows server 2012 R2
Windows server 2012 r2 is the new version of windows server2012.It provides some enhancements. Offsite disaster and backup recovery options are there. For storage resources and virtual machines, it provides cross-cloud management capacity. It provides the virtual machine for service provider and windows Azure cloud computing environment.
Features of Windows server 2012 r2
- VHDX reshaping and prevent the duplication for virtual desktop infrastructure
- Storage spaces tiering.
Networking of Windows server 2012 r2
- IPAM(IP Address Management)
- Hyper-V virtual Switch.
- Windows server gateway.
- Remote desktop services
- windows deployment services
- Directory services and security
ADDS and domain creation
ADDS is one of the centralized system. It could be designed for networking management. It is used to manage the network elements in admins.In windows platform it acts as a central component.one could create group and centralized user for full network. In network operating system, it performs as a main switch board. With the help of network, it reduces the administration and security resources. ADDS provides the single point administration.so that, all the objects in the network has single point administration. The benefits of ADDS is providing the single user name and password for all the network sources. By using the single user name and password, one could access the network sources in any system.
Features of ADDS
- Subsystem redundancy is realized in a simple way.
- The small failure in system does not affect the overall system.
- The process modifying the program is simple. The expansion operation is done without affecting the system.
- To receive the data from the new nodes, one doesn’t need to change the sender software.
- Testing could be performed in easy manner.
- In the time of system operation, one could note down the status of node.
Installation and configuration of ADDS
- Click local server and press ADD roles and features.
- Click server selection and press next.
- Select features and click .NET framework 3.5 features.
- Click ADDS and note down the brief explanation of ADDS.
- Click install.
- Now the installation process will be started.
After completed the feature installation, the ADDS is installed perfectly
Roaming profile and the file server
File server is nothing but the one which is used for storing the files and sharing the files if necessary. To create a file share, “File serve Resource manager “can be used as a role selected on the file server in the windows 2012R2 server manager. The procedures for logging in to the Windows server and creating the file server are given below.
- Install windows 2012R2 server using a virtual box like the oracle virtual box.
- Open the server manager from the start screen of the server manager.
- Click file and storage services from the left side of the server manager window.
- Click shares->Tasks->New share
- New share wizard opens. From the new share wizard, select SMB share->Advanced profile->Next
- Under the share location, select share by volume and then the place where the file has to be stored is created.
- "Specify share name" screen opens and enter the name of the new share.
- Next "Configure share settings" screen appears. Select "Enable access-based enumeration" and "Encrypt data access"
- Select specify permissions->customize permissions to set the preferred permissions.
- Quota can be applied to the folder by selecting a quota template. The file share folder has been created.
DHCP server and its installation
DHCP is used to assign the IP (internet Protocol) addresses dynamically. It is one type of protocol. It could be developed in both LAN (local Area network) and enterprise network. It worked at the application layer.it has DNS (domain name system) address, default gateway and subnet mask.
- No need to record the IP addresses one could assign.
- It found the unauthorized server on the network.
- If any client is moved to other region, they get another IP address automatically.
- There is no need of manual configuration.
- It could support more than 64host.
- It provides extensive support for downloadable parameter.
- MAC to IP address mapping is possible.
Procedures dorthe installation of DHCP server
- Start with server manager.
- Open the ADD roles and features wizard from the server manager.
- Select results and view the installation progress.
- Note down, under installation progress DHCP server is present.
- Now the DHCP post install configuration wizard is appeared.
- Select authorization and give the user name.
- Select summary and view the status of DHCP installation.
- DHCP is installed successfully.
Web server and its installation
IIS is one type of Web server. It acts as role server. It stands for Internet Information Services.
The operation of IIS is to accept the request from the client computer and provide the response to the client system. The basic work of the IIS (web server) is delivering the information to the WAN,LAN and intranets. It could deliver the information in more formats like image files HTML codes etc. It performs via many protocols
Features of IIS
- Centralized certificates
- Dynamic IP Restrictions
- Server Name indication
- IIS CPU Throttling
- Application Initialization.
- NUMA-aware scalability
- FTP logon attempt restrictions.
Procedures for the installation of DHCP
- Open the Server manager.
- Click installation type and press next.
- Select server selection and then click next.
- Select server roles and select web server (IIS).
- Click next.
- Select features and click enhanced storage.
- Click role services and select custom logging.
- Click install and wait for seconds to complete the installation.
- After complete the feature installation, check the IIS is installed perfectly.
To create a file share and manage the roaming profile, file server is created. A DHCP server and ADDS server is also installed. In addition to the ADDS, DHCP and file server, IIS server is also installed. The servers are installed in such a manner that they satisfy the intranet needs of the STL Company. Windows 2012 server installed on a virtual box is used for the creation and testing of the servers. The network is designed with one admin and one OU per department.
M. Tulloch, Introducing Windows Server 2012 R2 technical overview. [Redmond, Wash.?]: Microsoft Press, 2013.
S. Lynn, Windows Server 2012. Farnham: O'Reilly, 2013.
O. Thomas, Training guide. .
2017. [Online]. Available: https://www.computernetworkingnotes.com/ ... rests.html. [Accessed: 26- Sep- 2017].
2017. [Online]. Available: https://www.hitachi.com/businesses/infra ... tures.html. [Accessed: 26- Sep- 2017].
2017. [Online]. Available: https://www.rebeladmin.com/2014/07/step- ... rver-2012/. [Accessed: 26- Sep- 2017].
2017. [Online]. Available: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/in ... er-2012-r2. [Accessed: 26- Sep- 2017].
2017. [Online]. Available: https://thesolving.com/server-room/how-t ... r-2012-r2/. [Accessed: 26- Sep- 2017].
K. Schaefer, J. Cochran, S. Forsyth, R. Baugh, M. Everest and D. Glendenning, Professional IIS 7. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2011.
R. Aitchison, Pro DNS and BIND 10. Berkeley, CA: Apress, 2011.