You are to develop and justify an appropriate strategic recruitment and selection process/plan for a specific position (we provide you with the position and relevant information about the position and the hiring organisation). Through your report you should, therefore, demonstrate that you can:
- Identify and describe the theoretical concepts and processes of strategic recruitment and selection;
- Interpret and analyse research in a critical manner; and
- Justify your rationale for applying the theoretical concepts and processes of HRM practice.
As the HR Manager for OzStyle4U , you have been asked to generate a report document, which will support the effective and equitable employment of a suitable staff person in the role of Store Manager - Hobart. In particular, you are required to develop a strategic recruitment and selection plan to guide OzStyle4U.
The Queensland company – OZStyle4U – requires an effective recruitment and selection process for the employment of its first Store Manager in its Tasmanian ‘flagship’ store scheduled to open in Hobart in 12 weeks’ time. This is a full-time, ongoing position with career development opportunities. External recruitment is necessary, as no internal candidates have been found suitable or available for the position; and it is desirable to have the new manager commence within 9 weeks if possible. The aim is to allow the new appointee to receive a full induction into the organisation, and to participate in the recruitment of new store staff. The position description is below.
While OzStyle4U has a succession management plan in place, there are no internal candidates suitable for the position and therefore external recruitment is necessary. OzStyle4U’s recruitment is undertaken in-house by the HR Manager; therefore, external recruitment agencies are not used.
- Identify OzStyle4U’s business strategy from the background and other information provided about Once you have identified the business strategy, the next step is to identify the staffing implications associated with such a strategy. Don’t forget to justify and explain your choices.
- Considering the nine elements of the staffing strategy, identifyand explain/justify the primary choices that OzStyle4U should be making in relation to their recruitment and selection strategy. Note: that more than one choice can be made for each element e.g. the type of workforce might be core and flexible.
- Develop a position (job) requirements matrix. There is an example of a job requirements matrix in the textbook, p.123.
- Propose an ‘employment value proposition’ that OzStyle4U would be willing and able to offer to attract an adequate number of high quality applicants. This should be generally consistent with what you consider is the organization’s business, HR/Staffing strategy and brand as an ‘Employer of Choice’, as well as specifically reflect the results of a job rewards analysis for the position. There is an example of a job rewards matrix on page 129 of the textbook, please note that the job rewards matrix has some slight differences to the ‘employment value proposition’ table you are required to do, but the job rewards matrix in the textbook is still a good guide that can be used when developing the EVP table
- Develop recruitment communication/advertisement plan of approximately 150 words. The plan should include the key elements of information the company will communicate to prospective applicants. These words can be encased within a table, and so will not count towards the overall word limit.
- Develop a sourcing effectiveness analysis. The proposed plan must include an appropriate sourcing approach and range of recruitment methods to attract potential candidates. There are useful tables to help with developing a sourcing effectiveness analysis on page 179-180 of your textbook.
- Outline and justify an assessment plan based on a position (job) requirements analysis of the key accountabilities and person specification for the position. The plan must include the selection criteria (characteristics) of the position, a number of assessment methods (predictors), and the sequence and weighting for each assessment method. There is an example of an assessment plan for an accountant on p.289 of your textbook.
- It is a requirement that one of your assessment methods be a panel interview. As part of this requirement, you also need to develop at least two structured interview questions, indicate the selection criteria/characteristic that each question will address, and develop a suggested answer and rating for each question.
- Evaluating and choosing candidates – see the section on choosing candidates (p.325-329). What you need to do is make a decision on whether you will use the multiple hurdles approach, the compensatory approach, or a combination of the two. In this section, you need to justify why you have chosen the particular method.